Hi-Vis OR Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norm

Come on norm , if you are going to take a poke at me .The way that comes across is a bit condescending.
Sorry, CK, you are probably right. Cider on a Friday night can do that to me. :biggrin:

I must admit that I do laugh whenever someone (and you are by no means the first) says hi viz doesn't work because 'we see it' everywhere. Not only is there inherent irony in the sentence but the report appears to be based on a very blinkered city-based viewpoint. It's been a while since I've seen a professional in hi viz whereas I would have been very grateful if the cyclist who was nearly flattened by the car in front of me last night had been wearing it or running a rear light.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Sorry, CK, you are probably right. Cider on a Friday night can do that to me. :biggrin:

I must admit that I do laugh whenever someone (and you are by no means the first) says hi viz doesn't work because 'we see it' everywhere. Not only is there inherent irony in the sentence but the report appears to be based on a very blinkered city-based viewpoint. It's been a while since I've seen a professional in hi viz whereas I would have been very grateful if the cyclist who was nearly flattened by the car in front of me last night had been wearing it or running a rear light.

Please read my posts norm i did not say i believed it , i said that some studies do .

Norm

Please read my posts norm i did not say i believed it , i said that some studies do .
Whoa there, CK, I didn't say or suggest that you did believe it so there is no need to recommend such things. ;) :biggrin:

I just said that I laughed whenever I saw it written.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just the way it reads :biggrin:

I laugh etc and you are no means the first ..

If you did not mean that then i take it back , i think the lack of emotion and intonation that text puts across can sometimes lead to misunderstanding .

:hugs:

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!

One thing that may not make you laugh is the thought about who wears Hiviz, and who is perceived to wear it. Hiviz wear is stipulated in many industries to be used by pedestrians. Pedestrians , by definition move at < 4 mph (and very often if wearing Hiviz may not be moving at all) a cyclist may well be moving at twice , three , four, five or even six times that speed. I don't wear Hi viz because I don't want to be misstaken for a slow moving pedestrian , I wear cycling specific items to mark me out as a fast moving object.

Norm

Can I refer you to my "very blinkered city-based viewpoint", which you highlighted so well there, as there aren't many (any?) pedestrians on the rural NSL roads that I ride. :thumbsup:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
One thing that may not make you laugh is the thought about who wears Hiviz, and who is perceived to wear it. Hiviz wear is stipulated in many industries to be used by pedestrians. Pedestrians , by definition move at < 4 mph (and very often if wearing Hiviz may not be moving at all) a cyclist may well be moving at twice , three , four, five or even six times that speed. I don't wear Hi viz because I don't want to be misstaken for a slow moving pedestrian , I wear cycling specific items to mark me out as a fast moving object.

This is a very good point. Even when you do see hiviz, most are road workers/pedestrians. Even being seen as a cyclist will result in drivers assuming low speed/stationary objects, and result in more risk taking by them around you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So here's a question for you all:

Do you get more space at night when being overtaken? Why do you think this is?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I get the same sh!t at night as i do doing the day, i also get that same crap if i wear hiviz.
All formed from my own experiences

Bicycle

I get the same high level of courtesy and consideration from most other road users in the dark and in daylight.

Likewise in rain, mist or sunshine.

I wear bright colours and usually have one (sometimes two) lamps each end of my bicycle.

The occasional driver, cyclist or pedestrian fails to see me. Most apologise.

Over the years, some have hit me or caused me to swerve and fall.

Most are very decent about accepting responsinbility.

Norm

This is a very good point. Even when you do see hiviz, most are road workers/pedestrians. Even being seen as a cyclist will result in drivers assuming low speed/stationary objects, and result in more risk taking by them around you.
No, it is still a city-blinkered viewpoint, just as it was yesterday morning.

Davidc

Guru

Not to mention a lot of motorcyclists who occasionally also travel at < 4mph!

As Norm has said, leave the town/ city and the street lights behind and hi-viz becomes a different game. (It's still only suitable as an addition to good lighting though, not as a substitute).

The fundamental problem for those of us cycling with good lights & maybe hi-viz is the same everywhere though, and it's that a small proportion of drivers just aren't looking where they're going.

Those cycling without lights - how do they expect to be seen, even with hi-viz?

Top Bottom