Hi-Vis OR Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
No, it is still a city-blinkered viewpoint, just as it was yesterday morning.

Really?

cf31 4ns

Find the city.

Just because you live in the country, and have an opinion, doesn't mean that those that have a deeper understanding ,and disagree with you have to live in a city.

400bhp

Guru
Is he dead yet?

Norm

...that those that have a deeper understanding ,and disagree with you have to live in a city.
OK, then, let's assume "deeper understanding" doesn't mean "greater condescension".

One thing that may not make you laugh is the thought about who wears Hiviz, and who is perceived to wear it. Hiviz wear is stipulated in many industries to be used by pedestrians. Pedestrians , by definition move at < 4 mph (and very often if wearing Hiviz may not be moving at all) a cyclist may well be moving at twice , three , four, five or even six times that speed. I don't wear Hi viz because I don't want to be misstaken for a slow moving pedestrian , I wear cycling specific items to mark me out as a fast moving object.
I can't remember seeing a pedestrian in hi viz. What sort of ratio do you get of cyclists to pedestrians in hi viz?

Little yellow Brompton

OK, then, let's assume "deeper understanding" doesn't mean "greater condescension".

I can't remember seeing a pedestrian in hi viz. What sort of ratio do you get of cyclists to pedestrians in hi viz?

Found that city yet?

If you can't remember seeing a pedestrian in hi viz you either have a crap memory, terrible observation skills or are being disengenous.

Today I saw two policemen ( or the plastic copies) on the way to work, , on the way home I passed one workman wearing a vest, during the day I saw about 20 people in the yard wearing Hi Viz, of those 20 at least 15 were van/lorry drivers. As I left for the day the postman arrived to collect the parcels , he was wearing a Hi viz vest. I saw 0 cyclists today wearing Hi Viz. Of those 15 van/ lorry drivers, do you think they associate hi viz with cyclists or pedestrains ,considering that they wear Hi Viz every time they get out of their vehicle and walk?

HiViz may get you "seen" but it won't get you recognised.

Norm

Hmm... ok, I guess that I wouldn't see any of those as "pedestrians", nor would I see any of them on what was my regular commute on rural NSL roads, which was the point I was making.

But I will acknowledge that "city-based" could be replaced with "urban-based".

Little yellow Brompton

Hmm... ok, I guess that I wouldn't see any of those as "pedestrians", nor would I see any of them on what was my regular commute on rural NSL roads, which was the point I was making.

But I will acknowledge that "city-based" could be replaced with "urban-based".

You have another definition for "pedestrian" apart from a person on their feet (ped)?

Lets just hope that none of the lorry/van/drivers are city/urban based, and are all rural based, and so recognize your HiViz wearing as being a cyclist. What do you think the chances of that are?

I ride both in the city and a rural setting, I also have to deal with blizzards.

Both HiViz and lights (blinking and constant beam) play a role in lighting up my ride. Almost all of my cycling attire is trimmed with hiviz fittings (Shoes, jacket, tights, gloves,shoe covers, and messenger bag.

But in the end HiViz is a supplement to lights only never to replace a good bright light. (Coloured blinking lights really help motorists notice me.)

But what the hell do I know I once got a call from the local constabulary for riding my bike in blizzard.

Road bike
Cross
MTB x 2
Cruiser

Little yellow Brompton

I ride both in the city and a rural setting, I also have to deal with blizzards.

Both HiViz and lights (blinking and constant beam) play a role in lighting up my ride. Almost all of my cycling attire is trimmed with hiviz fittings (Shoes, jacket, tights, gloves,shoe covers, and messenger bag.

But in the end HiViz is a supplement to lights only never to replace a good bright light. (Coloured blinking lights really help motorists notice me.)

But what the hell do I know I once got a call from the local constabulary for riding my bike in blizzard.

Road bike
Cross
MTB x 2
Cruiser

By HiViz I don't mean reflective items on cycling kit, but specifically the vests/tabards/coats PPE under EN471:2003

Norm

You think that it's a 100% that the lorry/van/car drivers will be rural based?
Erm... was that the question you asked? That's not how I read it that you asked whether they would "recognize your HiViz wearing as being a cyclist" rather than a lorry driver. And I would say that 100% of lorry drivers and postmen who see hi viz on a rural road would see them as being cyclists rather than other lorry drivers or postmen.

By HiViz I don't mean reflective items on cycling kit, but specifically the vests/tabards/coats PPE under EN471:2003
Oh, ok, then we aren't necessarily talking the same thing, as was said a few days ago...

Hiviz is the combo of fluo and reflectives - I thought we'd moved past that a long time ago.
If that is the case, there is, IMO, even less chance of a cyclist being mistaken for a lorry driver as, aside from the bike rather than the lorry, my hi viz has lots of yellow and reflective material only on the seams rather than the standard "rugby post" pattern of the PPE vests.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Is he dead yet?

If you mean the person this started about, then its no. At least not yet. Seen him again tonight, on his way to work.

Norm "rugby type" hi-vis. I assume you mean the older, now outdated pattern of one horizontal & two vertical strips/stripes Replaced in 2003 by two horizontal & two vertical.

As for whats a pedestrian, I'd say anyone moving around from place to place on their feet. Building sites I' d not count because everyone should be wearing it, drivers included.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The important thing is that hi vis identifies the wearer as a person. As opposed to, say, a motorbike or perhaps a red traffic light in the distance. Both of which a driver can interpret a single steady light on a bicycle as.
Indeed. This is why I've said there is little point to it in a city as drivers are never far away enough to be able to misjudge you for something else (unless you are cycling at 3am)

Top Bottom