hi-viz gone mad....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Yeah, I know what you mean. I keep not having RTA's involving other vehicles when not wearing hi-viz. Life's a bummer.
Which proves ? Either 1 - people are better drivers than you give them credit for 2 - your lucky 3 - it may do no good but equally no harm either, as I said, can't be proved. Don't really see the problem.

Recycler

Which proves ? Either 1 - people are better drivers than you give them credit for 2 - your lucky 3 - it may do no good but equally no harm either, as I said, can't be proved. Don't really see the problem.
+1
Exactly how I see (!) it. It certainly doesn't make things worse for me so I prefer to use it.
What I don't understand is why some peeps are so "anti" it.

Davidc

Guru
Most drivers are good and do see us on bikes and do behave acceptably.

A small minority of drivers are so poor they don't look where they're going &/or don't see what they're looking at. They cause most of the collisions and won't see you if your lights are as bright as a lighthouse and you have any hi-viz ever made. The only option is to spot them and get out of the way. (Same goes if you're on foot, on a motorcycle, in a car, or driving a JCB*).

Lights (day and night for me) are there to help the first category, try to wake up the ones in between, and are no use for the second category above 'cos they're texting/ sleeping/ looking the other way.

Hi viz (daytime) and reflective (night time) helps the good drivers see you early, might wake up a few waverers, and are no use for the second category above 'cos they're texting/ sleeping/ looking the other way.

I don't object to hi viz, I do wear it sometimes, but I only think it's useful in dull and wet weather like the last week's. Reflectives are of use on unlit country roads, but experience suggests they're chocolate teapots under streetlighting. My waterproofs and warm stuff are mainly bright yellow because that's cheapest.

I won't be buying the jacket in the OP because I think it's silly, won't help with anything, and will cost too much.

* If they hit a JCB it's messy scraping them off and they might scratch the paint, so still best keep the JCB out of their way.

Recycler

It is just like helmets, it makes cycling look like a hazardous activity.

But surely it is at least a little hazardous?

We can argue about the degree of danger but, since I took up reasonably serious cycling, I have become much more aware of my vulnerability on the road than I am as a car driver. I'm not saying that it qualifies as a "dangerous sport", but every day we read about near misses and/or "downs" on this site.

In any event I'm not even sure that there is any problem if we make it look hazardous. My main concern is to make sure that other road users don't crash into me....I don't really care what they think about me.:blush:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
+1
Exactly how I see (!) it. It certainly doesn't make things worse for me so I prefer to use it.
What I don't understand is why some peeps are so "anti" it.
aesthetics. style. taste.

a dislike of the garish, the clashing, the strident, the loud. visually speaking.

or in plain speak; because it looks feckin' awful.

Reactions: gaz

Recycler

a dislike of the garish, the clashing, the strident, the loud. visually speaking.

Well, I never said that it was pretty but I really don't care what it looks like. I rather doubt that anything I wear would result in a trail of girls swooning at the roadside as I pass by. I may just as well try to be visible ^_^

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have nothing against high viz - but I do worry if it would encourage people to look for high viz rather than people, in the same way that I feel daylight running lights encourage drivers to look for car lights rather than for other vehicles.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
Hi-vis is so commonplace nowadays that it is disregarded to the extent of uselessness. Someone robbed an auction room near me a few weeks ago, relieving it of over £300,000 worth of jewellery. What was he wearing to go unnoticed in his approach and escape? Yep, a hi-vis jacket.

It's modern-day urban camouflage.

GC

394685_10151139437925014_627290013_22837639_1014339673_n.jpg

How many hi-viz cars do you see then?

It is just like helmets, it makes cycling look like a hazardous activity.

So you've never had a cycling accident then?

ahhh it's all about how it looks now.:whistle:

Andy84

Veteran
"So you've never had a cycling accident then?"

I've had an "accident" walking down the stairs before, I wouldn't class it as a hazardous activity though!

Top Bottom