hi-viz gone mad....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my experience that means the driver will often think to himself "Feck it, it's only a cyclist" and pull out regardless of how close I am etc.
It's the main reason I don't use blinking front lights, only steady.
GC

This post suggests a quite extraordinary ability to read and analyse the thought processes of a passing driver. I've cycled for tens of thousands of miles and have never yet been able to determine what a passing driver is thinking to himself (or herself). You seem to be suggesting you can do so as a matter of course. Do you have some sort of telepathic ability? :laugh:

But on a more serious note, I'm with you on front lights used with anything other than their constant setting. When a cyclist with VERY POWERFUL blinky lights is coming towards me, I find they can be unhelpfully distracting whether I'm on a bike or in a car.

In a car, it's because the lamps are often at my eye level and as a cyclist it's worst when my glasses are rain-spotted and flashing lights turn my field of vision into a disco nightmare.

Also on a more serious note, how do other members who are also drivers think about cyclists in Hi-Viz?

just jim

They'll be rockin' that jacket in downtown Copenhagen.
copenhagen_rush_hour.jpg

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm with glasgowcyclist, I don't want to be identified as a cyclist because that means they'll take a chance with me that they won't with an unidentified vehicle with very bright lights. Thus I tend to leave my front light on flash in the day, and constant at night.

Reactions: gaz

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
You're not going to see any hiviz vest behind the lights I'm using. ;)

So you need lights during the day,why?

Because they don't notice you normally,at a guess.

Were you wearing hiviz when the chappie in the Landrover turned right across you?

He may have left it late before he braked,but he saw me eventually.Probably because I was swearing and that woke him up.Yes we know hi-viz isn't foolproof,as has been stated on this thread,if motorist or pedestrian doesn't look (or just glances) then it's no good.That's a common problem anyway.

Really,why should I care if you don't wear hi-viz?

It suits me better if you don't*,but I don't necessarily agree that hi-viz is useless,admittedly it isn't foolproof as the landrover incident proved,but the guy saw me at the last second and that was enough for me to get away with it.

*=(I suppose)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
So you need lights during the day,why?

I don't believe I do, but it's an anti-insurance argument. If you've not seen an Exposure MaXx-D, should've gone to specsavers innit.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I don't believe I do, but it's an anti-insurance argument. If you've not seen an Exposure MaXx-D, should've gone to specsavers innit.

Blimey,the motorists on your commute must have brilliant eyesight.

I feel such a fool,this thread has made me realise hi-viz is no good.I wont be using it in future,im convinced.:whistle:

redcard

Veteran
I'm going to go shopping for some nice pastel shades, hi-viz is just soo common.

Wonder if I can get a set of light to match - those red LEDs are just so garish.

Recycler

Also on a more serious note, how do other members who are also drivers think about cyclists in Hi-Viz?

As a driver I'm convinced that Hi-viz makes cyclists more visible. Other drivers tell me that it makes cyclists more visible. The police and other organisations seem to agree. For me it's a no brainer.

I don't really care if it lacks street cred.:blush: As someone said earlier in this thread, most non-cyclists think cycling gear looks a bit odd anyway and, if I look like a belisha beacon, I'm quite happy to laugh at myself!

I'm just surprised at how "anti" some people obviously are....nobody complains about red jerseys or any other colours. It reminds me of all the arguments you used to hear to justify not using seat belts before they were made compulsory. But, each to their own. If peeps don't want to use it it's fine by me.

Top Bottom