Hi-viz risks??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
hackbike 666 said:
Agree with Arch...I have less probs now than what I had when not wearing Hi-Viz.
Me too hackers,I have 2 jackets that I wear on the bike,one yellow one red.Seem to get a lot more problems when wearing the red one even in daylight,although it's worse in the dark-feel a bit invisible at times even with 2 decent lights as well.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hi-viz definitely attracts risks to the cyclist when cycling through particular bits of estates, but not in the way meant by the original post.

potsy

Rambler
marinyork said:
Hi-viz definitely attracts risks to the cyclist when cycling through particular bits of estates, but not in the way meant by the original post.
Your not wrong there mate,I have 2 such estates to ride through on the commute,I can almost guarantee I'll get abuse if there's a certain type of yoofs hanging about.

chillyuk said:
I have to admit a liking for these fly on the wall police documentaries that seem to infest the TV networks lately. Sad I know! However, I have heard coppers say more than once that people tend to drive where they are looking which is why so many motorway accidents occur on the hard shoulder. Rubber neckers looking at the incident and then driving into it despite police cars lit up like christmas trees.

This had had me thinking wether we cyclists can carry the same risks. All this hi viz gear we wear attracts attention to us (usually), which is exactly what it is for. Once a driver has us in his eyeline does he then drive towards us, especially if he is driving on mental autopilot, going by the same theory as motorists on motorway hard shoulders.

I'm not very good at explaining things that I mean but I am sure you will see what I am getting at. Never mind, I will keep taking the tablets!!

I have worked on the highways for many years - a lot of accidents are caused by some drivers looking everywhere else apart from where they are going, falling asleep, playing with their mobile phones, CDs, GPS et.al.

I would suggest that giving the vast numbers of the remaining drivers who are looking where they are going a bit of a hand by wearing Hi Viz is a no-brainer.

I don't wear normal high vis for a couple of reasons.

I often ride through a very urban environment and don't want to blend in with road works.

people are used to it, so wearing a different colour makes me stand out more

so I have a blue high vis cycling waterproof

and a bright red wind proof.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
magnatom said:
Magnatom takes his seat in the front row, places his tub of popcorn in the convenient holder and waits for the show to commence....:biggrin:

ComedyPilot sits down next to Magnatom to enjoy the show, and a few stolen handfuls of popcorn. I hope he hasn't got a hole cut in the bottom of it....:laugh:

About the worst thing you can do for your visibility is wear clothing that breaks up your body shape into unrecognisable fragments, such as team kit. This is the essence of camouflage and is the last thing we need to be doing to ourselves. A hi vis tabard, as worn by road workers, is good partly because the stripes of reflective material are instantly recognisable to any motorist who's ever seen a road worker wearing one and partly because the reflective material maintains your body shape. But if you haven't got a hi vis vest, wearing a solid block of colour is almost as good, at least in daylight. What we do about motorists driving at us because they've fixed us in their sights however, I don't know.

potsy

Rambler
ComedyPilot said:
I find wearing hi-viz or 'normal' makes no difference, but having a mirror fitted has all but eliminated any surprises.

Funny that?
Good for checking your make-up too ;)

Maz

Guru
ComedyPilot said:
I find wearing hi-viz or 'normal' makes no difference, but having a mirror fitted has all but eliminated any surprises.

Funny that?
On reflection, yes.

Top Bottom