Hi-Viz

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
When I started working on the railways, someone asked why orange & not yellow hi-viz. The reason we were given was that orange stood out better against vegetation :thumbsup:
A combination of both would prob be best
altura-kids-vest-med.jpg

I think I read somewhere that pink is supposed to be the most visible colour. Not sure how true that is as I have never seen a pink hi-vis jacket.

Edit: At night, the important part is the reflective strips.
altura-wmn-nightvis-ev-jkt-10-zoom.jpg

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think I read somewhere that pink is supposed to be the most visible colour. Not sure how true that is as I have never seen a pink hi-vis jacket.

Reasonably common on female cyclists. Pink performs very badly in clean light conditions when it's getting dark/dark, other than that it's fine. As as already been said in the thread it's well known that yellow and orange dayglow have their problems when light is not clean. At night the important bit is the retro-reflectives, however the dayglow bit does actually matter at night, you want it to be a colour that still reflects some of the light in small enough quantities solidifying the shape into a block of colour that stands out or as rhythym thief would say 'person shaped'.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

I've both a pink gillet and a pink jacket. I think the pink does stand out - more for being pink in a sea of yellow Hi-vis. However on misty days I think yellow seems to be the colour that I most notice through the mist so I don't wear the pink one on those days.

Fiona N

Veteran
I always think it is amusing all the effort some bikers go to in wearing very bright hi viz upper clothing, they then bend so far over the handlebars that from the rear you can only see their black leggings. May be hi-Viz y-fronts worn superman style should be considered
biggrin.gif

Not sure about the hi-viz Y-fronts :rolleyes: but I do hang retro-reflectors off my cycling rucksac for just this reason. They hang in space vertically but flap around which makes them pretty eye-catching when the reflectors on the rucksac are doing a good job for incoming aliens.

Top Bottom