1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ian, 19 Dec 2007.

1. ian

ian New Member

Hi, I have been cheeking this site out for some time now, off and on, and decided to regester with you.

I have been interested in cycling since a young age and since i have just moved house (which is now closer to my work) i was thinking of cycling to work now.

I wonder if any of you could be of help to me in offering advise in which type of bike would be of use to me and where i would get a fair working bike.

Thank you

Ian

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5982

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Welcome

Questions-

How far is your commute?
    How much do you want to spend?
    Work clothes, or will you get changed at work?
    On road, off road?

Value-wise, you can't get much better than the Carerra Subway 1 at Halfords as a starter bike. Under £200.

Whatever you decide, decide to get a bike. You'll never look back.

4. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Welcome also! Mr Paul has the questions just right - it helps to narrow down the selcetion, although at a pinch you can ride almost anything - it's just better to get something that really suits your purposes.

Also, if you have a particular budget, there will be other things you need to think about - a decent lock, perhaps a decent waterproof jacket, warm gloves, lights etc. So take those into account as well as the cost of the bike.

And if you haven't ridden on the roads for a while, a copy of the book Cyclecraft is recommended too - a kind of advanced manual for cyclists, with the best advice on how to cycle safely.

5. welcome... did you bring cake?

6. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Welcome ian:smile:

The previous advice is good!
    I would just say, make sure you know what you want before going along to buy. Some shops will try to sell you the bike they have in stock, rather than the type of bike most suited to your needs.
    :rolleyes:

7. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

Welcome Ian. When buying a bike decide what you want to do with it. Road, off road, trail, commute, leisure etc. Go for the best bike your budget will allow, then add some for lights, gloves and a decent jacket. You will find this forum is a friendly place with lots of good advice.

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Edinburgh Bike Co-op usually have very good sale prices in January for their "own brand" Revolution bikes which receive good reviews.

And hello.

9. Noodley

Noodley Guest

That's not very good advice to give a beginner :becool::biggrin:
    You'll be telling him to ask questions about what helmet to wear next...

10. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Hi and welcome ian

Great advice already provided...oh except maybe to ask plenty of questions if there's stuff you don't understand, there are no daft questions...(unless yenners or bonj asks them :becool:)

Cycling is very addictive, a good way to keep in shape and do the commute as well. Let's face it...it's the future for the urban and suburban environment.

11. ash68

ash68 New Member

just saying my hello and wecome to the latest recruit, Ian. Looks like the good folk of the forum have supplied all the info you may need already.

12. col

col Veteran

Welcome Ian.:becool:

13. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Hello !!

14. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

evening ian.

15. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Welcome to the forum Ian and also to the world of commuting, both are highly recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!