hi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian

Hi, I have been cheeking this site out for some time now, off and on, and decided to regester with you.

I have been interested in cycling since a young age and since i have just moved house (which is now closer to my work) i was thinking of cycling to work now.

I wonder if any of you could be of help to me in offering advise in which type of bike would be of use to me and where i would get a fair working bike.

Thank you

Ian

Tynan

Veteran

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome also! Mr Paul has the questions just right - it helps to narrow down the selcetion, although at a pinch you can ride almost anything - it's just better to get something that really suits your purposes.

Also, if you have a particular budget, there will be other things you need to think about - a decent lock, perhaps a decent waterproof jacket, warm gloves, lights etc. So take those into account as well as the cost of the bike.

And if you haven't ridden on the roads for a while, a copy of the book Cyclecraft is recommended too - a kind of advanced manual for cyclists, with the best advice on how to cycle safely.

snorri

Legendary Member
Welcome ian:smile:

The previous advice is good!
I would just say, make sure you know what you want before going along to buy. Some shops will try to sell you the bike they have in stock, rather than the type of bike most suited to your needs.
:rolleyes:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Ian. When buying a bike decide what you want to do with it. Road, off road, trail, commute, leisure etc. Go for the best bike your budget will allow, then add some for lights, gloves and a decent jacket. You will find this forum is a friendly place with lots of good advice.

Noodley

Edinburgh Bike Co-op usually have very good sale prices in January for their "own brand" Revolution bikes which receive good reviews.

And hello.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi and welcome ian

Great advice already provided...oh except maybe to ask plenty of questions if there's stuff you don't understand, there are no daft questions...(unless yenners or bonj asks them :becool:)

Cycling is very addictive, a good way to keep in shape and do the commute as well. Let's face it...it's the future for the urban and suburban environment.

ash68

just saying my hello and wecome to the latest recruit, Ian. Looks like the good folk of the forum have supplied all the info you may need already.

Hi Ian. The latest edition of Cycling Plus has its bikes of the year with reviews of a wide range of different types of bikes. The Specialized Sirrus Elite was commuter bike of the year, which sounds reasonable.

A word of warning, C+ do act on occasion like the press department of Halfords (frequently referred to as Halfrauds in these parts). I've been scammed twice (yes, I'm that dumb :wacko:) into buying stuff on their recommendation; both times said item turned out either not to work, or fell to bits. :biggrin:

I'd disregard their praise for Boardman, Carrera etc until you've got more reliable opinions. :biggrin: