HiFi for £1K.....is it possible.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My son has some obscure record deck with built in speakers. Its dying.
He has a collection of vynil so needs a deck.
He has C £1K to spend.
Any suggestions ?

Jody

Stubborn git
SL1210 with a decent stylus.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Turntable : Rega planar 1 (£300)
Amplifier : Cambridge Audio AXA25 (£250)
Speakers : Dali Spektor (£219)
CD player : NAD 538 (£300)

Total : £1069

That doesn't sound bad at all. Is that new or SH?

One variant is not to bother with the CD player assuming you already have one in your PC, or if not got one built in a USB CD drive for a laptop for maybe £20. The built in sound of a PC is already quite good but a an excellent quality accessory DAC should be between £100 and £200. Once you've uploaded your CDs to the hard drive, and bear in mind it can retry for zero errors there's no advantage whatsoever in a hi fi CD player.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Turntable : Rega planar 1 (£300)
Amplifier : Cambridge Audio AXA25 (£250)
Speakers : Dali Spektor (£219)
CD player : NAD 538 (£300)

Total : £1069

Very similar here at £829

Rega Planar 1

Rega io amplifier

Dali Spektor 2

Enough left in the kitty for some speaker stands (if needed) & cables.

Minus the CD in your list and with the much better Rega io amplifier.

https://dougbradyhifi.com/products/rega-planar-1-turntable-starter-system

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

Have HIFI prices dropped a lot in recent years? I am sure I paid more than that in the late 70s.

I think sound per pound has changed a lot over the years - even at budget level you can get very acceptable quality these days.

My current set-up: Arcam rPlay (streamer) + Cyrus One + Dali Oberon 5 sounds terrific for <£2000 and much better than my previous combo that cost way more back in the late 90's.

Speakers in particular seem to give a lot more bang per buck than yesteryear.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Have HIFI prices dropped a lot in recent years? I am sure I paid more than that in the late 70s.

I think that you can get better for less, for sure - and with the advent of streaming, then it's possible to have many fewer boxes than previously - one-box systems have never been so good (or no-box systems, as below).

Until the money was diverted to treatment for one of our pets I was all set to buy a pair of these:

https://uk.kef.com/pages/ls60-wirel...euwonpvL4_9Ebn3i4nDxVaVI3IJMIzg0aAkDlEALw_wcB

...to replace CD, amp, existing speakers, soundbar, subwimbler and an absolute cats cradle of cabling.

SpokeyDokey

I think that you can get better for less, for sure - and with the advent of streaming, then it's possible to have many fewer boxes than previously - one-box systems have never been so good (or no-box systems, as below).

Until the money was diverted to treatment for one of our pets I was all set to buy a pair of these:

https://uk.kef.com/pages/ls60-wirel...euwonpvL4_9Ebn3i4nDxVaVI3IJMIzg0aAkDlEALw_wcB

...to replace CD, amp, existing speakers, soundbar, subwimbler and an absolute cats cradle of cabling.

Expensive pet!

If I ever bother to change my system again I would look at something like that - a brilliant solution.

Not wishing to open the source debate but why anyone bothers with CD's/vinyl these days is beyond me.

Spotify Premium for a tenner a month and you have a massive catalogue of music to keep your listening fresh as well as being able to access golden oldies.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Expensive pet!

If I ever bother to change my system again I would look at something like that - a brilliant solution.

Not wishing to open the source debate but why anyone bothers with CD's/vinyl these days is beyond me.

Spotify Premium for a tenner a month and you have a massive catalogue of music to keep your listening fresh as well as being able to access golden oldies.

Sadly yes. Poor dog, he's just departed too :sad:

Top Bottom