High 5 tablets and similar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fintious

Hi all, I usually just have water in my bottle when cycling but it seems that sports gels and tablets are all over the sports market now. I used gems when running London marathon which seemed to give a bit of a boost. I needed a new water bottle so bought one from Go Outdoors this morning which had ten free High 5 tablets with it. Gonna try one on my long ride tomorrow. What are peoples opinions on these electrolyte drinks and do they help on long rides?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They help me after a ride rather than during as they help stop me getting leg cramps.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I used to use the zero tablets after spin classes. Stopped me from getting headaches as replaced the electrolytes. I now get Diralite on prescription so no longer need them.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I use zero tablets tablets as well. Helps when it's really hot and helps Or Even me feom getting headaches. They taste quite nice as well

vickster

Legendary Member
The pink grapefruit ones taste ok initially but have a bit of a yukky synthetic aftertaste. I’d only use on a really hot day myself.
You‘ll have to try for yourself to see if like taste / if helpful to reduce headache, cramp (more than just having some squash with a pinch of salt say)

I won't ride in hot weather without one, but only because I found out on a hot day in the south of France exactly what it feels like when you need one and haven't got one.

midlife

Guru
Used them in the 70's, called Accolade. Tasted terrible lol

How long is your long ride ?
You might be better off with energy drink rather than a tablet.

You'd have used gels at the marathon because the body can only store energy for the first 20 miles or so - so you need the extra 6 miles of energy to be taken on.

Venod

Eh up
I use them, I am a heavy sweater, they help with avoiding cramp, if doing a MTB orienteering event longer than two hours I take a bag of Jelly Babies with me and sometimes gels.

Top Bottom