High 5?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Got a free High 5 bottle with some gels and tabs in...used the tabs for my rides this week and although it was slightly more interesting than water on its own, was wondering if it will make a difference in the long run opposed to just drinking water...Wondering whether to shell out for some but is it just a waste of money?
Any thoughts?

defy-one

Never tried it. I mix a little juice with water. Does the trick for me.

compo

Veteran
Personally I think all these additives are snake oil. You only need fancy drinks on a very long ride and even then the benefits are at best marginal. I just use squash with a pinch of salt in it. All other claims I take with a pinch of salt.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I like high five zero tabs. The combination of electrolyte is good at stopping cramps on tough rides in my experience. That said you could make your own for a fraction of the cost, there are a couple of threads about it. I prefer to buy the tabs though as they are convenient and can be carried easily on a ride. The zero tabs do not fuel though and if the ride is over 40 or 50 miles remember you need to eat as well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do find that High5 tabs do help with the after ride cramp.
I drink a 750ml bottle with a high5 tab for every 50 miles (or less) I cycle. Of course other people different.

And as H71 said, you can make your own, but they are convenient and not expensive.

Personally I think all these additives are snake oil. You only need fancy drinks on a very long ride and even then the benefits are at best marginal. I just use squash with a pinch of salt in it. All other claims I take with a pinch of salt.

why would you bother putting salt in your bottle if such things are just 'snake oil'...?

compo

Veteran
It is the claims that the manufacturers make for their products that put them into the snake oil category.

It is the claims that the manufacturers make for their products that put them into the snake oil category.

It's just that you said the 'additives' are snake oil - not the manufacturer's claims. The additives themselves are there for exactly the same reasons as you adding salt to your drink...

martint235

Dog on a bike
I've tended to have worse cramp after using a High 5 tab than without but that could just be me. And I'm talking about rides well over the 100 mile mark so maybe nothing would stop the cramp.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I usually take two bottles with me on my bigger rides, one is filled with diluting juice the other is with high 5 zero tablets...

compo

Veteran
I find it interesting that the Hi 5 web site has wonderful claims such as "26% further at race pace".
Look right down the bottom of the page, in the very very small print and they cover themselves by saying "or so we believe based on research evidence" So we believe? Either it does or it doesn't give the claimed increase in performance, especially as they have "research evidence" to back them up. Obviously they are not too confident of their claims.

Top Bottom