High and low

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
What are your views into any driveways or side entrances? Aside from being unlawful and setting a bad example, it can be risky. Having said that, how many road users (cyclists or motorised ones) take proper caution when side streets, entrances or driveways emerge onto the road? Precious few is my guess.

Any reason why you simply wouldn't dismount to walk the 50 metres or so on the path?
Bit more awkward with a recumbent as they're lower.

Drago

Legendary Member
He might be very short!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I used to have an ICE trike and have never ridden on a pavement and dont know why you would.

A trike is an object of fascination for motorists. I never had any problems on the road. Its half the size of a mini and cannot be missed. My biggest problem is that drivers in front slowed so much to oggle me that they got in the way.

I've ridden on the odd pavement.

The cycle track was the pavement ......... :laugh:

The few times I've cycled on non shared pavements tend to be in similar conditions.
Uphill when I'm doing sub 5 mph in busy rush hour type traffic, then it's just easier/safer to nip over to let traffic passed.
But once I'm back over 5 mph it's onto the road.

OP
OP
Icemanhgv

Icemanhgv

Road Warrior
What are your views into any driveways or side entrances? Aside from being unlawful and setting a bad example, it can be risky. Having said that, how many road users (cyclists or motorised ones) take proper caution when side streets, entrances or driveways emerge onto the road? Precious few is my guess.

Any reason why you simply wouldn't dismount to walk the 50 metres or so on the path?
Is it easy to walk with a bent trike, you can easily hold the bars on a df and walk but as as yet I don't own a trike, I just wondered how easy this is to do")

Is it easy to walk with a bent trike, you can easily hold the bars on a df and walk but as as yet I don't own a trike, I just wondered how easy this is to do")
Yes and no.
With a recumbent trike the steering and brakes tend to be below knee hight so are a bit out of reach.

The normal trick with a delta trike is to just pick up the front wheel and to drag it along behind you.

A tadpole trike is a bit more tricky. The back of the seat/rack tends to be around waist heightso it's easy to push/lift it from there. The normal trick on the flat is to push it along on all three wheels until it goes off route. Then without stopping lift the back end over until the trike is lined up with where you want to go again and keep pushing.
Uphill is a bit more tricky as you'll put a sideways force on the trike as you try to pull it uphill. The greater the sideways force then the faster it will go offline. I tend to reach forward and down to rest my other hand on the front mudguard to help steer the trike. But that can be hard work on the back.

Now you must remember you're not anywhere near the brakes while pushing it and if you let it go on any type of slope it's going to try and roll away from you before you put the parking brake on.
That's why I find it just as easy, if not safer, to just get on it and ride it at a slow walking speed rather than push it along.

So it's doable but you have less fine control vs an upwrong.

jeffoi

I seem to get on fine with lifting the back wheel of my tadpole and pushing it like a wheel barrow. I leave the parking brake on so that when I do put it down it doesn't roll away. But if you're pushing it far and have heavy panniers on, take them off the rack and pop them on the seat, the leverage is better that way

OP
OP
Icemanhgv

Icemanhgv

Road Warrior
Chain snapped on me, picked up rear wheel and walked it home, no rear brake as yet, previos owner took it off :sad:

Top Bottom