High-end singlespeeds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I was just wondering if anyone ever builds seriously fast & expensive SS bikes...

Most of us seem to use recycled road frames or purpose-built steel roadsters, but it must be possible to build something special with a titanium or carbon frame! Does anyone ever bother, though? Would it be a waste of a lightweight frame?

trek-district-carbon.jpg

£2799.99 at Evans :eek:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
heck of a lot of retro high end steel mtbs get a second lease of life as high end blinged up to the max single speeds

Ibbots

I had a really nice single speed build: Kysrium ES wheels, Kinesis race frame and Reynolds Ouzo Pro forks. Weighed less than 16lbs and I used it to set my record time for the last climb home, not been able to get within a minute of that time on any other bike - even on the same bike built up with gears. Ultimately it was a bit pointless though and after the rear wheel got damaged I rebuilt it as my geared road bike with new wheels and Dura Ace groupset. Current commuter is much more humble and about 7lbs heavier but a lot more practical.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I was just wondering if anyone ever builds seriously fast & expensive SS bikes...

Most of us seem to use recycled road frames or purpose-built steel roadsters, but it must be possible to build something special with a titanium or carbon frame! Does anyone ever bother, though? Would it be a waste of a lightweight frame?

Ever seen track racing? lol.

On a serious note, how expensive or light does a single speed/fixed bike need to be to qualify, my fixed bike is worth well over a grand as a sum of parts and is it very light, much lighter than my Cannondale road bike, but its not ti or carbon (apart from a few select components).

Van Nichols make a titanium single speed/track frame, many custom builders also work with titanium now. As for carbon there are lots of offerings out there, have a look at Dolan, Look, Moda, Fuji, Planet-x to name but a few.

Of course it wouldnt be a waste to have a lightweight frame, but weight isnt the only advantage of those alternative materials, taking carbon as a prime example, carbon affords you much more freedom in frame shape design, meaning more aerodynamic frames (not much gained from this mind) and frames that are stiffer where it counts without the weight and bulk penalty you might pay with other materials. For example, look at the bottom bracket area of a high end carbon sprint frame, they often have quite a lot of carbon around there, making for a stiff, power efficient ride. These alternative materials also sap up road buzz pretty well apparently.

BTW, have a look at NJS Keirin racing, those bikes cost a pretty penny, they are very quick and they are all steel, dont underestimate the potential for steel.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
That is only a 67.5" gear as well.

The sort of people who would spend that on an SS wouldn't be able to pull a bigger gear, anyway.

Xiorell

Über Member
There's some very expensive SS bikes down at my LBS, very nice and I'd love to own one (there's a black, specialized one I am seriously eyeing up) but I was also a bit stumped as to what that money is going on, when they are next to lighter road bikes with more "kit" bolted to them which are at a lower price.

(not crap road bikes either, propper good stuff in that shop)

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
:biggrin:

I mean! Nearly three grand for a SS bike with a Chinese carbon frame?

You could put the same thing together for half that, I'm sure (minus the all-important brand name, of course). :rolleyes:

Top Bottom