High on a hill...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
... is a stone age quarry, yodel ay-ee, yodel ay-ee ,yodelay-ee-ee...

And I'm off in a minute on a coach trip to see it (Great Langdale). It's years since I walked up a proper hill, wish my legs luck!

Tomorrow, I will be going down a flint mine, in Norfolk...

oxbob

Aperitif said:
...make sure your mate Patrick knows you're going down... he'll be up all night worrying otherwise...:blush:

I'd be happier if I were hanging on to her legs to make sure she's safe. :ohmy:

Oh my word - great langdale...one of my favourite places, but not to walk!!! Last time I walked there I'd just done the coast to coast, so my little legs were somewhat weary. Halfway down stickle gill they folded underneath me and I could barely walk down the mountain. Us cyclists aren't meant to walk, you know.
Enjoy btw....

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Canrider said:
Is that Mark taking a class trip or something?

Yup, well, it's the Implement Petrology Group Conference trip, and I've been helping out, so I got to go for free...

Blimey. That was hard going, but amazing views, and Neolithic stone working waste just lying around in great drifts... I opted out of the scramble around Pike O'Stickle to see the other quarry, but just up there and back was at my limit! Oh, my legs! And my bruised toenail - coming down can be so painful on the toes...

Anyway, today is Grimes Graves, so it's all flat, apart from the ladder down the mine...
:blush:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
A few pics of the last couple of days...

Monday:

Took so many views of Langdale, hard to do it justice! Just thinking about walking up this far is making my legs hurt again...

S7000174.jpg

But this is why we were here:

S7000173.jpg

The waste products of a thousand or more years of stone axe manufacture. Neolithic folk came up here, 4 to 5000 years ago, maybe earlier, and extracted this stuff from outcrops using sticks, antler picks, hammer stones and fire, and the resulting axes were traded right across the country...

I opted out of the scramble around Pike O'Stickle...

S7000191.jpg

Tuesday:

Grimes Graves:
Each of these depressions was once the shaft of a flint mine:
GrimesGraves.jpg

Being 'experts' we got to go down the one the public can't...

S7000213.jpg

The vertical shaft leads into horizontal galleries (only a couple of feet high) that the seams of flint came out of... (the flash is flooding the scene with light - we were seeing by torch)

S7000223.jpg

Here's the good stuff they were after:

S7000225.jpg

All dug out with picks like these (these really are 5000 year old deer antlers, not modern props...!)

S7000240.jpg

A bit dusty, crawling through the chalk, but an amazing experience! I do wish I didn't look quite so much like a startled rabbit, but hey, it's hard to be glamorous 50 feet underground in a hard hat!

S7000251.jpg

Top Bottom