High Torque Hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I tried posting this on Know how a week ago no takers

High torque hub?

I know that Rohloff stop guaranteeing their hub at a point where the sprocket comination gets to the point where there is high torque - but would it come into play where an ordinary geezer like me is providing the power element?

"I have just recieved my CTC mag

An article says that Shimano are producing a 12-36 cassette for 29ers complete with a "high torque hub" - they suggest that it would be useful for touring

Why a high torque hub? whats the difference compared to ordinary hub? If you are using already using 11 - 34 the amount of torque should not increase by enough to exceed the factor of safety for an ordinary hub? - bearing in mind that it is a consumer product the FOS will be quite high - however they are obviously concerned enough to have produced one

Which part of the hub would be high torque? Freehub internals? body?

If you are on 26" would the torque be less anyway? " approx 5 - 6% extra available torque? - every thing else being equal

I remember Sturmey Archer hubs exploding years ago when used on mountain bikes with chain tensioners and three rings. The idea was that you could down-shift from a standstill in the days before indexing and shift ramps on cogs. So there be issues with internal hubs and high torque but I've never heard of a cassette hub failing (outside of tandem use).

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A lot of MTBers are running SS off-road and 180 cranks which puts huge torque through cranks. I've killed freehubs sprinting, they survive a bit then fall to bits internally.

Not sure they will have changed that much though, but it does sound good, doesn't it! I'm sure they will sell a lot of them on the back of this marketing scam:thumbsup:

ASC1951

Guru
psmiffy said:
Shimano ..... "high torque hub"
Sounds like marketing bollox to me. I see, for instance, that Oakleys have "sculptural physics and our unique three-point fit" - hands up all those with two noses or an extra ear!

byegad

Legendary Member
mickle said:
I remember Sturmey Archer hubs exploding years ago when used on mountain bikes with chain tensioners and three rings. The idea was that you could down-shift from a standstill in the days before indexing and shift ramps on cogs. So there be issues with internal hubs and high torque but I've never heard of a cassette hub failing (outside of tandem use).

I've heard of dual Drive hubs letting go on recumbent trikes when the gear was very low.

Top Bottom