High viz jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
hackbike 666 said:
Ok I'll bite...I couldn't care less.

....another thing here is people don't wear hi-viz because they are worried what they look like.

For some reason I thought POB was pedestrian on bike.
I thought it was p**ck on bike,have to agree about the builders waistcoats though,snob or not it's not a good look.

Maz

Guru
macp said:
Dont know if its me but it seemed like drivers were being more careful around me.I guess they can spot me from a greater distance.I certainly like the feeling of being seen though.
Agreed. That's because Hi-viz works. Be safe, Be seen!
Far too many cycling jerseys are various shades of asphalt grey.

taxing

hackbike 666 said:
For some reason I thought POB was pedestrian on bike.

We're all pedestrians sometimes.

I'd rather be a POB than a cyclist. I don't think of what I'm doing by riding a bike as special in any way or deserving of a name, I'm just riding a bike in my normal clothes to get from A to B.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
taxing said:
We're all pedestrians sometimes.

I'd rather be a POB than a cyclist. I don't think of what I'm doing by riding a bike as special in any way or deserving of a name, I'm just riding a bike in my normal clothes to get from A to B.

Someone at work callled me a "real cyclist" the other day. I found myself laughing, never really thought too much about it, even with the recent addition of lycra. :tongue:

I should call myself an FBOB (Fat Bloke On Bike) :blush:

potsy said:
I thought it was p**ck on bike,have to agree about the builders waistcoats though,snob or not it's not a good look.

I don't care.:blush:

I haven't got a builders waistcoat anyway...I have an altura but have never had a problem with anyone who wants to wear a builders waistcoat.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
macp said:
Bought an Aerate high viz jersey recently and wore it for the first time today.Dont know if its me but it seemed like drivers were being more careful around me.I guess they can spot me from a greater distance.I certainly like the feeling of being seen though.

I got a high viz vest with my username on the back of it, it doesnt help tho, but thats because I wont wear it.

Glad I could be of service :blush:

hackbike 666 said:
....another thing here is people don't wear hi-viz because they are worried what they look like.

It also limits the amount of choice you have in what you wear.

Though, I do have a "high-vis" T-shirt. Just some regular "work site" one which is pretty nice, doesn't look as silly as the waistcoat style ones (although I don't use it much, maybe more when it's darker for the reflective strips, HV doesn't do much at night)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Twiggy said:
Eh, I'd rather be alive than look good.

Fashion choices involving/not involving hiviz have nothing to do with your chances of being in a collision.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
BentMikey said:
Fashion choices involving/not involving hiviz have nothing to do with your chances of being in a collision.

the french authorities disagree and all cyclists outside town limits must wear them by law.

the sheriff who resided over the jason mcintyre case also disagrees.

BentMikey said:

You don't actually know though do you?

It's just what you think whereas I think the opposite and we will never agree.

dondare

Über Member
lazyfatgit said:
Person on bike.

or
Pedestrian On Bike or
Prat On Bike or
Pillock On Bike

Basically, someone who we don't identify with even tho' they cycle, because they do things that we don't approve of and give us all a bad name.

Twiggy

BentMikey said:

It's less a fasion choice, and more a visablity choice.

On an unlit road at night, a cyclist in highvis shows up really well in headlights, even at distance. I've seen the difference first hand, and after seeing it, I'd choose nothing less.

lazyfatgit

bromptonfb said:
the french authorities disagree and all cyclists outside town limits must wear them by law.

the sheriff who resided over the jason mcintyre case also disagrees.

This mustn't have filtered through to the locals here then. Not seen a single bicycle user wearing hi vis here so far, and there,s been plenty around.

Theres plenty of fluorescent yellow shells in the bike shops, so maybe they get used at night/in wet weather?

I dont really care whether anyone wears a hi vis vest or not. I sometimes do, though both my waterproof jackets have lots of reflectives, which i think are more effective at night than yellow or orange clothing, especially on the unlit roadfs ive been riding recently. I'm not convinced about bright clothing during the day. doesn't matter what your wearing when a dozy driver nods off at the wheel.