High viz jerseys

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I'll second lfg's conclusion, it may be law but it doesn't seem to be enforced as the natives don't seem to bother with high-viz.

lazyfatgit said:
I dont really care whether anyone wears a hi vis vest or not. I sometimes do, though both my waterproof jackets have lots of reflectives, which i think are more effective at night than yellow or orange clothing, especially on the unlit roadfs ive been riding recently. I'm not convinced about bright clothing during the day. doesn't matter what your wearing when a dozy driver nods off at the wheel.

Agree...though I did have that incident with the cyclist round the corner with no lights or hi-viz driving in very dark conditions who I saw at the very last moment...He really needed a slap for that.

Wolf04

Can't find it on Google but I seem to remember reading an article which suggested that motorists see HiViz but then subconciously tend to veer towards it. :bravo:

Anyway it's all about risk compensation, BentMikey told me so, many threads ago and I believe him. :smile:

MGBLemonrider

In the winter rain I have a Altura bright yellow cycling jacket with High Viz bits on it.
The rest of the time I wear a normal high viz waist coat. Yes I look a prat. and the reflective straps around my ankles. It makes Mrs B feel better. I do feel different on the occasion I went without.
But principally when I do get knocked down the compensation won't be reduced by X% because someone decides my not wearing it was a factor.

I should really get a smaller size so it doesn't flap as much.

lazyfatgit said:
This mustn't have filtered through to the locals here then. Not seen a single bicycle user wearing hi vis here so far, and there,s been plenty around.

I've seen less and it's been good for me because I seem to be more visible...also bought a new lighter jacket from Evans today...It looks very nice.Altura....Isn't it great now some of the cycling accessories we can get...also my new fixie wheel was ready but im happy with freewheel...no gears to worry about.:biggrin:

hambones said:
There were quite a few peeps out at the weekend (25 degrees) wearing full length hi-viz jackets!!!

I was one of them and it was deliberate...as I work in cabs sometimes with degrees over 90 degrees I thought this would be good practice of concentrating in hot conditions.

Tynan

Veteran
I wear a yellow/reflective gillet of jacket in winter and in bad light

but in broad daylight I don't think it's necessary, there's lots of very bright contrasting tops out there

Tynan said:
I wear a yellow/reflective gillet of jacket in winter and in bad light

but in broad daylight I don't think it's necessary, there's lots of very bright contrasting tops out there

Oh well $h1t happens....you have to wear what you are happy with....That reminds me of the bloke with the see through lycra on the return today.:biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
I always where hi viz, from my previous experience as a motorcyclist, it is one less excuse a motorist can use to justify "not" seeing you. A similar justification for always having lights on, whatever the weather, something I have recently started to do.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
MGBLemonrider said:
In the winter rain I have a Altura bright yellow cycling jacket with High Viz bits on it.
The rest of the time I wear a normal high viz waist coat. Yes I look a prat. and the reflective straps around my ankles. It makes Mrs B feel better. I do feel different on the occasion I went without.
But principally when I do get knocked down the compensation won't be reduced by X% because someone decides my not wearing it was a factor.

I should really get a smaller size so it doesn't flap as much.

Just wear what you feel comfortable in. ;)

BSRU

A Human Being
As long as you accept they can use your lack of hi viz as a excuse/defence for pulling out/in front of/into you, if you have the unfortunate luck to end up involved in a collision.

A perfect example this morning a roadie, in dark lycra, some dark team colours, dark helmet, no lights, dark coloured bike, was virtually invisible against the background.