Higher handlebars - beginner!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Augustine

I have a mountain bike but I use it primarily for commuting and fun runs mainly on roads and tracks rather than hard-core off-road.

the problem is the riding position can get uncomfortable - too much leaning forward and aching arms.

if i wanted to raise the height of the bars to get a more comfortable position, would i be best
a) just to get some bar ends
:laugh: replace the straight handlebar for a riser
c) both? neither? something else?

i'm not sure how easy it is to fit a new handlebar and i'm not sure how safe bar ends are if it means your hands are away from your brakes while your cycling. any thoughts very welcome.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The particular will be dependent on whether you have a threaded or threadless stem, but in general you can also achieve a higher handlebar position by using a stem raiser or by using a different (perhaps an adjustable) stem.

But just in case you did not know if the existing stem is threaded there might be some room for raising it higher. If it is a threadless one using the stem upside down might also raise the handlebar.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Do you need higher bars or bars which aren't so far away? if you are stretching too far forward might be a "too long" sort of problem rather than a "too low" sort of one.

As for going higher- depending on your current setup (photo would help) there will probably be several options.

nigelb

In a similar situation, I put a hibred set on. This meant I didn't have to stretch forward as much, more relaxed or upright riding position, shoulders less tensed up etc.

Depends on what you're after I guess, but this really did make a huge difference for me commuting every day.

Of course another big change was to put Marathon Plus tyres on - expensive but worth every penny! No punctures (to date) and much less rolling resistance than knobbley tyres.

Then I got a more comfy saddle.

(then some toerag stole the sodding thing, but I've basically replaced it with the same again)

Nige

ps I guess I should be pleased in a way, I'd taken a "junk" mountain bike and turned it into something worth stealing ...

OP
OP
Augustine

Augustine

nigelb - i like the idea of a hibred set. i'll have a look around. i've switched to slicks and a nice comfy seat for my own comfy seat.

thanks for all the responses. i'll get a pic and post asap. thanks

Eddiethelaowai

I have the same problem with my commuter/hybrid - it's got flat bars but came with short stubby bar-ends as standard - they help a lot and actually it's still easy to reach the brakes from the bar ends - only time i need to move my hands is to reach the shifters or the horn.

Likewise, my girlfriend's MTB has the same problem - however hers had an adjustable stem and the angle of the bars can easily be changed with an allen key.

OP
OP
Augustine

Augustine

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
You have a traditional threaded stem, so there might be room for raising it somewhat (as shown here).

If you are changing the handlebar or stem or both, do check the stem's clamp size is compatible with the handlebar diameter.

rh100

RecordAceFromNew said:
You have a traditional threaded stem, so there might be room for raising it somewhat (as shown here).

If you are changing the handlebar or stem or both, do check the stem's clamp size is compatible with the handlebar diameter.

And pay special attention to the part where he mentions the minimum insertion mark.

I've been doing similar with a touring bike I've been doing up, some suggestions have been replacing the stem for one with a closer reach or a higher rise angle, there is a huge number of different combinations out there, loads of different sizes of tube and clamp etc.

I've ordered an adjustable one, if I find a position I am happy with I may replace it again with a normal one to match the size.

spiro

I want to do something similar for my HT mountain bike to give a variety of hand positions. Years ago on an old bike I had a set of bar ends that were about 4" long then curved nearly 90 degrees and had another 4" all in one curved piece. This allowed you to have your hands on the bars (palms flat), on vertical section of bar end (palms vertical) or on the almost horizontal section at the top of the bar ends. They were also great at protecting your hands from branches.

I have used google but not found anything like these, anyone got any ideas?

e-rider

crappy member
OP
OP
Augustine

Augustine

OK, so from what i can work out, because i've got a threaded set up, i can't just buy a longer stem because those are for threadless set ups. so, all i can do is try and lift my stem up as far as i can and maybe get some compatible handlebars...

do i lift the threaded stem up by just loosening the bolt pointing down into the stem with an alan key? or is it the bolts placed where the stem meets the frame?

Top Bottom