Highest cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
182rpm here, just confirmed as 185 using that calculator. It probably helps that I'm skinny and was a spinner to start with. There are plenty who spin faster than me though, I don't think 182 is particularly high. Fixedwheelnut has managed 199rpm.

Mr Phoebus

BentMikey said:
I don't think 182 is particularly high.

It bloody well is when you weigh 95 kgs....It's like a runaway freight train!!! ;)

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I took the 'puter off, but I know I do well over 30 at times, so I might be able to get up there.......

andrew_s

Legendary Member
My best is around 195 (37mph on 65").
It seems to work best if you try to accelerate into the bottom of a dip so you can slow down quickly if it starts to go pear shaped.
Down a moderate hill I can keep 160rpm/30mph up for the best part of a mile, and I've also done 160-ish on the flat when I'd tagged onto an Evesham Wheelers club ride and they started sprinting for signs.

I did once try keeping up with the pedals going down a steepish hill (with an arrow on it), and shan't be trying that again.
If you aren't actively pedalling forwards the back wheel keeps lifting and skidding when it comes back down, if you are you go faster which isn't a good idea when you are at your limit, if you try braking the back wheel unweights and bounces around even more.
Fortunately the bottom of the hill arrived before I'd come off.

Fixedwheelnut

BentMikey said:
182rpm here, just confirmed as 185 using that calculator. It probably helps that I'm skinny and was a spinner to start with. There are plenty who spin faster than me though, I don't think 182 is particularly high. Fixedwheelnut has managed 199rpm.

:blush: Hi Mike, I've hit 199rpm once and 198rpm several times but conditions have to be right a mix of legs feeling loose, a smooth straight downhill preferably one that dips out and rises again as Andrew S said.
Usually it is around 170-180 down the hill on my commute to work.

Tips for spinning apart from the above conditions are to grip the bars firmly but not tight, relax your hips and concentrate on moving your feet in circles out of the way of the pedals, actively push the pedals round to accelerate into the dip of a hill.
I do find there is almost a harmonic effect of the legs going up and down that things get wobbly around 140-150 then smooth out again until 170+ where the back of the bike gets skittish and twitches around a bit.

GrahamG

Guru
184 is my max - the irony was that it was a 'late at night just fine tuning set and saddle height' quick run up the road, cold out and in the dark. I've got a great little hill with a (very quiet) roundabout after a dip before another hill - short run with the slow down after, superb!

Not done more than 170 in real world (other random hills!) riding.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've seen a shade over 220 on an exercise bike at the gym (warming up for a spin class) but I couldn't do that on a real bike. It was all over the place!

Fixedwheelnut

I didn't write down yesterdays mileage until this morning and saw a max speed of 41mph, I knew that would be over 200rpm and the max rpm function was just flashing 04 [it's max reading is 199]

I've been waiting all day to get home and work it out on gear calc. :rolleyes:

46 x 18 on 23c tyres = 67.26" gear @ 41mph =205 rpm

"Oh yes
smilie_2.gif
smilie_null.gif
smilie_5.gif
rpm"

I was coming home down Stonehouse Lane from Halstead it gets to its steepest near the bottom and I was racing two others to the bottom and just really went for it, I knew it was 190plus but never imagined I'd cracked two hundred :biggrin:

I am chuffed :rolleyes::becool:

Blonde

Dunno - No cadence sensor, so I've no idea, but I've never 'maxxed out' or felt like the pedals were turning too fast for me to keep up - not yet anyway, but I haven't yet done any silly hills on it either! I've managed 31mph, briefly (you never get above that on my commute, there's too much stopping and starting and traffic queues) but I ride 72 inch gear, so I guess that's not particularly fast spinning - 154 according to that cadence calculator.

yello

Hit 157 today. I had a long, straight and wide downhill that then went into a climb - so I figured it was on. Basically I tried to drive the bike, accelerating ahead of the spin. It was surprisingly comfortable. Someone said that it smooths out after 130 odd... and it did for me.

BringMeMyFix

269rpm on turbo trainer in 39x23 with as little resistance as possible.

217rpm on the road, same gear.

Nudged over 200rpm on fixed a few times, same as Fixedwheelnut.

Averaged about 215rpm for 20 seconds in a roller competition - but still only came second ;(

Fast twitch fibres run (ride?) in the family ;)

Top Bottom