Highest cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
35mph = 56.3kph = 938 metres per min
at 221 rpm => 4.25 m per pedal rev
on 42x15 => 4.25 x 15 /42 m = 1.5m per wheel rev

so your wheel is 48cm in diameter - 20x1.5"?

If you are using 700c, something's gone wrong somewhere. 35mph on 42x15 should be more like 160rpm (25mm tyres)

Fixedwheelnut

There is a free calculator you can download here
http://www.machinehead-software.co.uk/

it takes into account tyre size aswell :smile:

or go to google;
Hello, I am Bruce link=topic=27141.msg360227#msg360227 date=1168259616]
I was playing with Google's Calculator, and came up with a formula for calculating cadence that I thought I'd share.

Just go to www.google.co.uk and type in

((SPEED miles per hour)/(CIRCUMFERENCE metres) * (SPROCKET/CHAINRING) in (minutes ^ -1)

with appropriate values for your SPEED, wheel CIRCUMFERENCE, and SPROCKET and CHAINRING tooth counts.

e.g.

((31 miles per hour) / (2.155 metres)) * (19/49) in (minutes ^ -1)

Gives 149.6 rpm.

("minutes ^ -1" just means rpm).

You can change the units, e.g. speed in km/h, or circumference in furlongs, and Google with handle it automatically.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The google method is better, as so long as you give it the same circumference figure as you used to calibrate your cycle computer it doesn't matter how accurate it is.

as one who has witnessed FixedWheelNut pedalling at 198 and 199 I have to say that it takes some believing. His entire body oscillates. His legs, well, forget it, they're just a blur. It's actually a little frightening. One imagines bits flying off in all directions - and he's not a small man, so some of those bits could do some damage.

I just follow behind, freewheeling...

Fixedwheelnut

simon l& and a half said:
as one who has witnessed FixedWheelNut pedalling at 198 and 199 I have to say that it takes some believing. His entire body oscillates. His legs, well, forget it, they're just a blur. It's actually a little frightening. One imagines bits flying off in all directions - and he's not a small man, so some of those bits could do some damage.

I just follow behind, freewheeling...
:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: LMAO :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hiya Simon:tongue:

Top Bottom