Scotland : Perthshire Highland Perthshire Challenge 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Family stuff got in the way of my (weak) attempts to do this one - and I didn't see @Louch's post about how to get a response from the organisers until too late :sad:

Had a ride this afternoon and it was quite breezy, so hope you all had a good, safe ride and :bravo: to @Fubar for doing 200k :ohmy: !

Put a new chain (or three :thumbsup:) on the bike during the week and stopped some rattles, so it's running better than ever just now :biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Look after Scoosh on his disabled-bike, won't you. :smile:
Refers. :whistle:

Next ? :boxing:

:laugh:

Full report to follow later.

Three cracked riders and one cracked rim, but everyone finished in high spirits. Organisers were magnificent, one guy in particular.

I don't mind cracking on miles 51-55, it's the getting beat at the line by @Edwardoka I have issues with lol
Ed shoots past with 500 yards til to the turn off
Louch "NO! YOU [swearword referring to parentage]"
Ed "Sit on my wheel dude!"
Louch "Ah'm no sitting on yer wheel, this is a RACE!" *attacks* (Louch has evidently never been in a sprint finish before)
Having just chased Louch down for 6 miles, Ed tucks in neatly onto Louch's wheel and lets him do all the hard work into the wind. 50 yards from the turn off with a visible gap in the traffic, slingshots around and away. Wee climb in the Airport, legs absolutely screaming by this point, but mustn't look back!

Sorry dude :thumbsup:
You did amazingly well to get round after hitting the wall halfway in:cheers:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I have emailed back to the results email thanking them again for their support and hanging about for us. Makes such a difference having your own team van. Team Arnold Clark will ride again! Just noticed yesterday's ride puts me at 4999.7 miles since I started last year, I'd have lapped the car park if I knew that yesterday! Today not likely

Saturday dawned clear and promising, which I was thankful for, knowing that I had one of the hardest days on the bike ahead of me, I didn't need the elements to be against me as well as the road.
Shortly after waking, I was running around like blue-arsed fly trying to find everything. In traditional Ed fashion I had completely failed to prepare the night before.

Eventually I had found enough and wasted enough time looking for the rest that I deemed it time to get ready.
A quick espresso followed by some fettling and minor maintenance on my bike (during the Islay ride, @Pat "5mph" insisted that I give my bike a name, and after yesterday I have chosen a name for it which is too geeky to share in a public place).

All as close to readiness as possible off I trundled, with my full day's ride loaded onto the Garmin, the readout showing "124mi to end" did not fill me with confidence.

Riding into a big headwind almost as soon as I left my new home village, negotiating a tractor, then heading west along back roads north of the Carse of Gowrie on the fringe of the Carse hills.
My colleague Jimmy (who also rode the 100, but had left considerably earlier than I, is also far faster than I and is part of a local club of insanely fast people) had warned me about the Rait climb over the Carse hills but it was much worse than I'd anticipated, and when I arrived at the airport 20 minutes later than scheduled, the sweat was lashing off me.

Ah, there were my fellow riders for the ordeal to come, @Harry_Palmer79, @ShooglyDougie and @Louch - greetings and apologies!

In the paddock, @Fubar was already limbering up for his crack at the 50, having ridden from Dunfermline to the start point. (His total for the day exceeded mine by 0.4 miles. I am not amused)

The four of us started in the same pack as a group of three who were doing the 50 mile ride, and, aside from one guy with very expensive deep-section carbon rimmed wheels (who, when I jokingly suggested a wheel swap decided to move his bike away from us), and one other guy who started well after us, we were the last ones on the road for the day.

The other three quickly dropped by my pace-setting it was down to the four of us again.

Part two to follow...

Within the first mile, as we were travelling along the main road along the route that I was to take home, my Garmin lost the plot, bleeping at me to turn right, and that the finish was 11 miles away. Would that that were the case!

Soon enough we turned off the main road and into the first headwind of the day, which blew the group apart a little. We need to work on our pacelining skills, chaps :bicycle::bicycle::sad:

Following the Tay northwest towards Dunkeld was very pleasant, and we seemed to make good time, swooping along little country roads with the river on one side, then crossing over the turbulent water to the other side, as the hills on the horizon loomed larger with every passing mile. We ended up mixed up in a Dundee wheelers club run and I was sorry to have them turn off after a couple of miles.

As the two official rides split in Dunkeld there was no sign of @Fubar, who had arrived in Dunkeld six minutes before us but blasted straight through, and we stopped to regroup by the bridge, at which point expensive deep-set carbon rims guy zoomed past, clearly on a mission.

In Dunkeld the Highland Games were being held, and on either side of the road, there were "No thanks" campaign stalls and "Yes" stalls set up at the entrance, glowering at each other, one of which was populated by maybe a half-dozen middle-to-late middle-aged affluent looking people, the other populated by people of all ages, backgrounds and status, and with a palpable buzz.
Four cyclists shortly continued on their way, en-wristbanded and en-stickered. Can we finish this route? YES proclaimed our fresh adornments.
(Thus concludes the political broadcast)

Shortly after Dunkeld came the first real climb of the day (or for me, second, Rait be damned!), a 13 mile climb of just over 1,000ft. We stopped to re-group at a flat section and had a chat, as the last rider on the road went past us. We then continued on the rest of the climb, which people handled in different ways. I elected to hang back, pacing myself, @Louch rode up behind me, and as he came past he shouted about the new-to-me fact that my lycra had worn through (presumably done by the bag on the Islay trip) and that the top of my ass-crack was plainly visible for all to see through the mesh. It seemed to genuinely bother him as he powered up the hill like a goat on amphetamine - I can only presume he was fleeing from the mixed feelings that the sight will have raised in him. :shy:

A combination of shame, strategy and amusement kept me riding up the hill at pootle pace, but when I realised that we were nearing the summit, with me being a fair distance behind everyone, the word "Strava" came unbidden to me, I clicked onto the big ring and surged forward. I'm sure the KOM points I earned on the climb will come in handy some day... :wahhey:

The descent into Aberfeldy was absolutely magnificent, and made all the posterior-related shame and slog worthwhile. at 45.6 mph I was spinning out. Need more gears! ^_^

At the bottom of the descent was the first food stop, the guy who had overtaken us on the climb while we were stopped set off moments after I arrived. Maybe he'd seen something he was afraid of...?

Part three to follow...

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
10492585_10154554144985075_3136642040742598407_n.jpg

view at the top of the climb after dunkeld. I took pics while the others took on the descent

10606494_10154554145060075_3094100292363612613_n.jpg

my bike with its free saltire at the Aberfeldy food stop

Top Bottom