Highway Code changes to be announced later this year, with improvements for walking and cycling…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
I think one of the many problems cycle paths in the UK have, is we have no priority roads systems. Where the priority road includes the cycle path and pavement, and all other traffic gives way to anyone on it.

Mike_P

Guru
And that's the simple reason why many cyclists avoid cycle paths aside from the all too often pedestrian and/or dog conflicts that arise. On the subject of car parks there was a good example of motorists incompetence in Wetherby this week where the High Street is pretty much a free for all car park and the result was the bus they did not see ended up hitting a shop frontage, fat chance of then of them having observed an approaching cyclist.

Milzy

Guru
It’s about time they made it more clear that we can ride 2 a Brest & vehicles must not collide with cyclists.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
It’s about time they made it more clear that we can ride 2 a Brest & vehicles must not collide with cyclists.
It is clear but most motorists last read the Highway Code the night before their test; and some would simply rather have the grievance. The same ones who bang on about ‘road tax’ and assume the cyclist on a five grand carbon road bike rides it because they can’t afford a car.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

This is the A11 heading out of Norwich. A rare sight where cyclists have the priority (but still wise to check that vehicles are actually going to stop at the lines!)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Mike_P

Guru
Need to be different colour tarmac if there is any chance of such being effective although given the amount of motorist who stop in the red zoned cycle section at traffic lights that is probably hoping too much. Auto raised bollards across the road when an approaching cyclist is detected on the cyclepath is probably the only safe solution.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Need to be different colour tarmac if there is any chance of such being effective although given the amount of motorist who stop in the red zoned cycle section at traffic lights that is probably hoping too much. Auto raised bollards across the road when an approaching cyclist is detected on the cyclepath is probably the only safe solution.
The Norwich give ways to pedalways seem to be respected almost always.

But then, the "fine city" is about the only place I've ever seen many people walk out onto the carriageway and expect drivers to yield, so motorists there might be more used to the idea than most.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was being flippant, and the actual link is very informative. However, can you imagine trying to ‘force’ some of that on British road users? The point I was making is that infrastructure (or lack of it) aside, our biggest single problem is ‘attitude’.
I think the biggest problem is attitude, but in a different way: the bad attitudes of politicians who look for any excuse to compromise or remove infrastructure supporting cycling as soon as the first motoring lobbyist bleats. Hopefully their attitude will be improved by funding being withheld from cycleway destroyers like Peterborough.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The bigger challenge will be breaking the bad driving habit of "mirror-signal-manoeuvre" where motorists turn after signalling regardless of any other road users. It needs to become something like mirror-signal-give-way-turn. I've seen councils chicken out of this fight before, removing bus lanes that crossed side road mouths, so I hope the various crises (climate, pollution, town centres clogged with cars) and national government support give them more backbone now.
My driving instructor, over a decade ago now, told me that mirror-signal-manoeuvre was outdated and that they were now teaching MSPSL: mirror-signal-position-speed-look, with the emphasis on the final 'look'. That doesn't seem to have entered the public consciousness though, it's a bit less catchy. Can anyone who's learned to drive within the last ten years tell us what they were taught?

The RHA articel seems to be trying to give the impression that a lorry turning left that hit a bike - the lorry will always be at fault.
Which does not seem to be true.
I says
"In any interaction between road users, those who can cause the greatest harm have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger or threat they pose to others. "
i.e. reduce the danger or threat
so a cyclist undertaking a lorry that is signalling left and movng to turn will still be determined that the lorry has done all it can and the cyclists was behaving irresponsibly by undertaking at that point
It does mean that the lorry driver should still look in their mirrors just to check but if the cyclist behaves like an idiot then it is not the lorry driver's fault if they end up hitting them

lane

Veteran
I think it refers to the new rule proposal that cyclists have right if way when going straight on at a junction

Also never understand why having a farking Blindspot is an excuse for killing someone. Don't drive a vehicle with a Blindspot I go you are worried about being held accountable.

Top Bottom