Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think it's more complicated - a pedestrian could easily have more KE than a cyclist (e.g. 80kg geezer runs across road, hits slight rider queueing at a red light.)
Also vulnerability is complex - elderly rider at 8mph is quite vulnerable. 100kg 25yo male pedestrian weaving off the pavement is less so.

(Much harder to find similar examples with a motor vehicle.)

Lots of variables :-/

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think it's more complicated - a pedestrian could easily have more KE than a cyclist
yebbut balance of probabilities is they don't.

Edited to add: the justification in the proposed new text is "those in charge of vehicles that can cause the greatest harm in the event of a collision bear the greatest responsibility".

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Kinetic energy, innit? More energy means more responsibility, as a default.
Are we creating a hierarchy of physics or of the reality of road death numbers? If its the latter, then cyclists should be at the apex. If its the former, it should be in New Scientist and not the Highway Code.

There are issues clearly more fundamental than kinetic energy as pedestrians are killing more cyclists than the other way around,

G3CWI

Veteran
But which drivers are going to read it? I would suggest that (pulls number from thin air) 99% of drivers have never read the HWC after they have passed their test, unless they need to revise to do another.
I agree. You only have to plough through any anti cycling thread on the web to realise that many drivers don’t know the Highway Code.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just been a short piece on Radio 4 'Today' programme (@ 0856 for 'listen again / Sounds) debating the 'two abreast' clarification proposal.
Reiterate:
Proposal to amend The Highway Code to introduce a hierarchy of road users, clarify pedestrian and cyclist priority, establish safer overtaking consultation closes at 11:59pm on 27 October 2020

Last edited:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Yes.
I don't care much for the 'move left for faster vehicles behind' sentences, they seem to contradict the hierarchy of users philosophy.

I also requested that Touch Screens should not be operated by the driver while the vehicle is in motion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom