Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
My response

The proposed update to the wording of #66 doesn't feel like an improvement over the current revision.

"[cyclists’ should] ride in single file when drivers wish to overtake and it is safe to let them do so. When riding in larger groups on narrow lanes, it is sometimes safer to ride two abreast"

[Reasoning] If it's safe for a driver to overtake then it's safe for a driver to overtake two riders riding abreast, this is also a shorter overtaking distance. Single file riding often results in drivers attempting overtakes within the same lane (and often also with oncoming traffic therefore placing the rider/s at greater risk) *It is largely impossible to know what a drivers intentions are unless the particular road is lacking in junctions/lanes/entrances or laybys.

For the purpose of an overtake, riding single file is directly in conflict with the proposed revisions to #163 where even leaving min 1.5m from a cyclist, motorcyclist or horse rider would place the overtaking vehicle entirely in the oncoming lane. It would therefore not matter how many cyclists were riding abreast

Last edited:
Good evening,

Those are silly people thinking that they are making rules that people care about and they are important, they are best ignored :-(

This morning I held up a truck that was fully loaded from a gravel pit and we both went up a steep hill, as soon as it was reasonable I pulled over to let him pass, he gave me a brief beep of his horn and leaned over to gave me a friendly wave.

I find that this happens a lot, if you aren't being an ..... most, not all, but most drivers are happy to accept that you have a right to be on the road and appreciate it when you help them with their right to be on the road too and progress their journey.

Harmony between cyclists and other road users has nothing to do with regulations and everything to do with manners, am I being reasonable or not.

Bye

Ian

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The van driver who left me upside down in a ditch then drove off was definitely displaying manners, if that's all it takes in your wee bubble then fine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Those are silly people thinking that they are making rules that people care about and they are important, they are best ignored :-(
The trouble is that even if you were right, the courts still care about these words, within certain limits, as a sort of tie breaker, so it can still affect you quite a lot and it does sort of matter what it says.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Good evening,

This morning I held up a truck that was fully loaded from a gravel pit and we both went up a steep hill, as soon as it was reasonable I pulled over to let him pass, he gave me a brief beep of his horn and leaned over to gave me a friendly wave.

I find that this happens a lot, if you aren't being an ..... most, not all, but most drivers are happy to accept that you have a right to be on the road and appreciate it when you help them with their right to be on the road too and progress their journey.

Harmony between cyclists and other road users has nothing to do with regulations and everything to do with manners, am I being reasonable or not.

Bye

Ian
Yet funnily enough you were simply following Rule 169 of the Highway Code. These things do need to be written down so people have the right expectations on how people should behave.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm struggling to get excited about this. Most of the changes seem relatively subtle, and it's all presented in a hard to follow format. Because I'm utterly lazy I'd like to see a marked up copy with old text struck through, new text highlighted and a commentary on changes. Does such a thing exist.
I'd like to see people pulled in at random with 2 weeks notice & made to do a compulsory HWC test to keep their license, or even better, annually or biannually HWC test (if that's every 2 years & not twice a year) also happy to see a 5 year practical driving retest, just think how much revenue that would generate, insurance companies would have a field day if you failed.

GetFatty

Über Member
The HWC is just a guidance document that is largely thrown in the bin once a driver passes their test. What's needed is a re-wording of the relevant laws (RTA etc) in order to better protect cyclists. Of course the re-worded laws then need to be enforced.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm struggling to get excited about this. Most of the changes seem relatively subtle, and it's all presented in a hard to follow format. Because I'm utterly lazy I'd like to see a marked up copy with old text struck through, new text highlighted and a commentary on changes. Does such a thing exist.
Not that I've seen, but it should be fairly easy for you to make one or hire someone to make one ;)

OP
OP
snorri

snorri

Legendary Member
I'd like to see people pulled in at random with 2 weeks notice & made to do a compulsory HWC test to keep their license,
I think that would be a waste of time and money. The vast majority of drivers have the capability to propel their vehicles from A to B in a safe manner.
We can all swot up for an exam, but if we choose, as many do, to forget or ignore the HWC rules when behind the wheel what good will regular retesting do?

Top Bottom