Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GetFatty

Über Member
Could anyone commenting here that improving the HC is pointless, please also explain why the f[redacted] they are bothering reading this thread and posting on it? (instead of staring morosely into their half-empty beer mug, moaning about the weather, or doing something useful with their time)

My point still stands that it is pointless updating the HC unless you update the laws it is describing.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
My point still stands that it is pointless updating the HC unless you update the laws it is describing.
I'd say not quite pointless, but not as good as correcting the laws.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
But which drivers are going to read it? I would suggest that (pulls number from thin air) 99% of drivers have never read the HWC after they have passed their test, unless they need to revise to do another.
An Electrician, Builder, Gas Fitter, Doctor etc all have regulations updated and changed regularly which they need to keep up to date with, why the devil shouldn't a motorist keep up to date? Ignorance is never an excuse.

The HWC is just a guidance document that is largely thrown in the bin once a driver passes their test. What's needed is a re-wording of the relevant laws (RTA etc) in order to better protect cyclists. Of course the re-worded laws then need to be enforced.
You've listed basically 3 things there that Gov can do.

Do you realise that each is massively cheaper than the next?

Which do you think will happen more quickly?

GetFatty

Über Member
You've listed basically 3 things there that Gov can do.

Do you realise that each is massively cheaper than the next?

Which do you think will happen more quickly?
I get that and if you change the HC, then new drivers will pay attention to it. Maybe. Existing drivers won't read it. The law change is the only way to make people sit up and take notice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'd like to see people pulled in at random with 2 weeks notice & made to do a compulsory HWC test to keep their license, or even better, annually or biannually HWC test (if that's every 2 years & not twice a year)

Biannual = twice a year
Biennial = every two years 👍

The excuse always used to be the lack of examiners - but that doesn't hold any water for theory re-tests.

And you could probably have a stripped/dumbed down version of the test for re-tests, if necessary.

classic33

Leg End Member
The excuse always used to be the lack of examiners - but that doesn't hold any water for theory re-tests.

And you could probably have a stripped/dumbed down version of the test for re-tests, if necessary.
If you use a dumbed down version for retests, why waste time with a retest?

Top Bottom