Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
^I'm a subscriber of Ashleys, he's generally on the money with this kind of thing.

sheddy

Legendary Member
I would request motorists to signal overtakes to following vehicles. Can anyone see a flaw with this ? Wording ?

CXRAndy

Guru
Here is the list of questions in the questionaire

You can do it online the questionaire or print it off

I've filled it in online-takes about 10 mins to go through and complete on line. :okay:

Attachments

• consultation-on-a-review-of-the-highway-code.pdf
    623.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I would request motorists to signal overtakes to following vehicles. Can anyone see a flaw with this ? Wording ?
It's already in rule 163 on overtaking: "...signal when it is safe to do so..."

What's missing is enforcement, and punishing those Institute of Advanced Motorists idiots who advocate not signalling if you think no one is looking.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Just needs to say ensure you signal before overtaking vulnerable road users. there needs to be something about not overtaking if you are the third motirist. Always the third motorist that cuts in too soon!

Reactions: mjr

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Rule 163. give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car. ?

But that could be interpreted as just the space between the left side of your car and right side of theirs. Which is often considerably less than 1.5 metres. Saying give vulnerable road users at least 1.5 metres when overtaking would be better.

mjr

Just needs to say ensure you signal before overtaking vulnerable road users. there needs to be something about not overtaking if you are the third motirist. Always the third motorist that cuts in too soon!
I find it's the second one. The third one has usually seen me waving at the second one and pointing at the handlebar camera...

netman

Veteran
*Bump

There's just one week left until the Highway Code Review closes.

The consultation offers a rare chance to improve many of the rules which govern our roads, and you can make a difference. Help make the roads safer for everyone, especially people cycling and walking, by supporting our campaign.

10 key proposed changes include new rules to tackle dangerous close passing and car-dooring, and also improve safety at junctions, particularly addressing 'left hook' collisions.

But these will only be adopted if the public show their support.

Please join almost 10,000 others who have already taken part and write to the Department for Transport today.

take+action+now+centred.png

Drago

Legendary Member
No bugger ever reads it anyway aside from learners, who instantly forget everything they read the moment the L plates come off.

I also disagree with the hierarchy of users. More cyclists are killed by pedestrians than the other way around, so why aren't we at the apex of the pyramid? That's pandering to the Daily Mail readership who think we're all slavering loons, not the actual reality of the situation.

mjr

I also disagree with the hierarchy of users. More cyclists are killed by pedestrians than the other way around, so why aren't we at the apex of the pyramid? That's pandering to the Daily Mail readership who think we're all slavering loons, not the actual reality of the situation.
Kinetic energy, innit? More energy means more responsibility, as a default.

Top Bottom