Highway Code revision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Comparing https://www.gov.uk/government/consu...ion-proposals-on-a-review-of-the-highway-code with my rant at https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bad-cycling-advice-in-the-highway-code.262435/ makes me think this...

Rule 59: The clothing gibberish seems to be left unchanged and they double down on the helmet promotion by cherry-picking evidence. Bad move.

Rule 60: Unchanged. Complying with this rule still won't be enough to make you legally lit.

Rule 61: Merged with Rule 63 and rephrased. Still inaccurate because, as we all know, not all cycleways "are provided for safety" as the proposed new wording claims. Some of them are legitimately provided to make cycling faster or easier (allowing red light bypasses or turns banned to motorists) and some are dodgily provided so the old men in limos can basically say "get orf moi roahd" in reply to fault reports from cyclists.

Rule 64: unfixed.

Rule 66: the old wording is "ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends" and the new is even worse "ride in single file when drivers wish to overtake and it is safe to let them do so" - no no no. Cyclists should not have to decide if it is safe for drivers to overtake. Two abreast always, please.

Rule 67: "be aware of traffic coming up behind you" was the bad old wording. It's not clear to me whether it survives.

Rule 68: unfixed?

Rule 69: unchanged despite being patently false.

Rule 71: a good change about ASLs which I think solves the problem!

Rule 72: was not on my rant list but the new wording puts cyclists too close to the kerb (0.5m!) and makes them responsible for deciding whether it's safe for drivers to overtake. The instruction to ride centre-lane on quiet or slow roads and junctions is good, though.

Rule 74: the crap advice "It may be safer to wait on the left until there is a safe gap or to dismount and push your cycle across the road" remains in the rewrite.

Rule 75: wasn't on my original rant and the new wording fails to mention that you can pretty much always make a two-stage turn at signal-controlled junctions even if there aren't markings, or to suggest how it should be done: I prefer to stop to the right of the crossing, to maximise the advanced-start over the motorists like an ASL, but there's still no guidance on this.

Old Rule 77 (new 79): they've actually strengthened the dodgy suggestion to "If you are turning right you can ride in the left or right-hand lanes". As I understand it, this is basically a lethal hangover from the bad old 1970s Cycling Proficiency Test which should be deleted entirely now.

Old rule 79 (new 81): apparently unfixed despite being completely out of date!

Old Rule 81 (merged with 80 and 82 to become 82): still crap but requires a law change to fix properly. Still needs better advice on level crossings.

Other than that, the changed rule 140 is great, finally directing "You should give way to cyclists approaching or using the cycle track when turning into or out of a junction" and reminding all users "cyclists are not obliged to use cycle lanes or cycle tracks". Rule 167 is a similar reminder not to left hook cyclists in cycle lanes either. Rule 163 at long last establishes 1.5m and 2.0m passing distances.

Many of the other changes look like simple updates to match current law, or mirrors of the above. Dutch Reach gets in, which I'm not too excited about but it's no worse than what it replaces.

PK99

Legendary Member
I'd like to see people pulled in at random with 2 weeks notice & made to do a compulsory HWC test to keep their license, or even better, annually or biannually HWC test (if that's every 2 years & not twice a year) also happy to see a 5 year practical driving retest, just think how much revenue that would generate, insurance companies would have a field day if you failed.

I'd like to see the same draconian enforcement for cyclists and scooter riders. Like the 4 cyclists in Wimbledon town center who almost hit me in 2 separate instances one day last week as I was waiting at lights controlled crossings and they came along the road at speed and onto the pavement in front and behind me. The two e-scooterists doing 10-15mph on the pavement in Wimbledon Village last week weaving among pedestrians and the e-scooterist who missed me by inches on a lights controlled crossing in Wimbledon yesterday.

I like the new 2-abreast wording. As I see it:
- you never *need* to single-out; you can choose to when/if you think it's safe.
- drivers *still* have a responsibility when overtaking to do so safely, or not at all. This hasn't changed.

So the wording could still be seen as ambiguous - twas ever thus - but I think it's much better now.

mjr

I think that would be a waste of time and money. The vast majority of drivers have the capability to propel their vehicles from A to B in a safe manner.
We can all swot up for an exam, but if we choose, as many do, to forget or ignore the HWC rules when behind the wheel what good will regular retesting do?
Even if some choose to ignore it, it would at least ensure that they've seen the changes made since they passed their test back when the Highway Code still had a bicycle on its cover! Or even worse, we've probably still got a few drivers around who passed the simpler army driving test and then converted at the local council under the pre-1960 regime, who may never have had any code questions at all.

Making it clearer that drivers must keep up to date would puncture the excuse that something was a recent change which, although not a defence as such, seems to influence the public — including juries and magistrates — who probably also haven't read a recent edition of the Highway Code...

mjr

I like the new 2-abreast wording. As I see it:
- you never *need* to single-out; you can choose to when/if you think it's safe.
- drivers *still* have a responsibility when overtaking to do so safely, or not at all. This hasn't changed.

So the wording could still be seen as ambiguous - twas ever thus - but I think it's much better now.
But some drivers will interpret cyclists riding single file as a signal that the cyclists have decided it is safe for them to overtake and probably even if it's only one cyclist! It partially undermines the establishment of minimum passing distances.

PK99

Legendary Member
Good luck at getting motorists to read it, anyone who has tried to cross a side road on foot will know that a car/van turning into that road will will run them over despite the pedestrian having right of way, likewise cyclists who have been 'left hooked' by vehicles whether in a cycle lane or on the road. :cursing:

The HWC does not confer Right of Way

"The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident. "

But some drivers will interpret cyclists riding single file as a signal that the cyclists have decided it is safe for them to overtake and probably even if it's only one cyclist! It partially undermines the establishment of minimum passing distances.
But it doesn't say that, does it? I've already stated the responsibility on drivers (which has always been there). "some drivers" will always be idiots.

If you want to take the pessimistic view that this will somehow increase the idiot numbers, I will just disagree. It's a good change - trust me :smile:

GetFatty

Über Member
The HWC does not confer Right of Way

"The rules in The Highway Code do not give you the right of way in any circumstance, but they advise you when you should give way to others. Always give way if it can help to avoid an incident. "
I think the wording has changed. I'm sure the bit about pedestrians already crossing a road you are turning into was the only place in the HWC where the term "right of way" was used. It's now been changed to "have priority"

mjr

But it doesn't say that, does it? I've already stated the responsibility on drivers (which has always been there). "some drivers" will always be idiots.

If you want to take the pessimistic view that this will somehow increase the idiot numbers, I will just disagree. It's a good change - trust me :smile:
It's an improvement but it could still be better. The misinterpretation by some drivers is a problem because I'm pretty sure from what I've seen that some of them are magistrates!

D

Deleted member 26715

It's an improvement but it could still be better. The misinterpretation by some drivers is a problem because I'm pretty sure from what I've seen that some of them are magistrates!
But which drivers are going to read it? I would suggest that (pulls number from thin air) 99% of drivers have never read the HWC after they have passed their test, unless they need to revise to do another.

mjr

But which drivers are going to read it? I would suggest that (pulls number from thin air) 99% of drivers have never read the HWC after they have passed their test, unless they need to revise to do another.
They (or their hired professionals) will read it to look for loopholes before going before a magistrate.

Could anyone commenting here that improving the HC is pointless, please also explain why the f[redacted] they are bothering reading this thread and posting on it? (instead of staring morosely into their half-empty beer mug, moaning about the weather, or doing something useful with their time)

D

Deleted member 26715

They (or their hired professionals) will read it to look for loopholes before going before a magistrate.
But would it not be better to have educated drivers in the first place?

Top Bottom