Hilarious - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Among a display of new cars in the city yesterday; no sales monkey in sight or worthwhile info on any of the cars, was a Hyundai Ioniq 5 all electric car. Being a remote possibility when the time comes, I thought that it looks a bit chunky, so how wide is it - including door mirrors, as the space tiwixt our gateposts is 2.2 metres.
Went onto the Hyundai website, no dimentional info. Clicked on the 'chat-to-us-live' link. The lad on the other end couldn't access the info I needed, :wacko: so he asked for my postcode so he could find my nearest dealer - ! He then asked for my phone number and e-mail address so they could get in touch with me - ! Huh - ? :whistle:
I said not to bother, as he'd given me their phone number anyway, so I phoned them and asked the question which I could have done myself had I known the apparent inability of Hyundai UK's main website to provide the answer - ! :rofl:
Oh, the Ioniq 5 is 1.152 metres wide, so if I did get one, it's going to be a very tight squeeze - ! When I reverse, I use door mirrors more than the rear window; a habit from my HGV driving days, :okay: so retracting them before I reversed would be a bit of an issue for me.

Among a display of new cars in the city yesterday; no sales monkey in sight or worthwhile info on any of the cars, was a Hyundai Ioniq 5 all electric car. Being a remote possibility when the time comes, I thought that it looks a bit chunky, so how wide is it - including door mirrors, as the space tiwixt our gateposts is 2.2 metres.
Went onto the Hyundai website, no dimentional info. Clicked on the 'chat-to-us-live' link. The lad on the other end couldn't access the info I needed, :wacko: so he asked for my postcode so he could find my nearest dealer - ! He then asked for my phone number and e-mail address so they could get in touch with me - ! Huh - ? :whistle:
I said not to bother, as he'd given me their phone number anyway, so I phoned them and asked the question which I could have done myself had I known the apparent inability of Hyundai UK's main website to provide the answer - ! :rofl:
Oh, the Ioniq 5 is 1.152 metres wide, so if I did get one, it's going to be a very tight squeeze - ! When I reverse, I use door mirrors more than the rear window; a habit from my HGV driving days, :okay: so retracting them before I reversed would be a bit of an issue for me.

Get that little Honda that doesn't have wing mirrors as such. Just cameras. Sorted !

I saw that and thought not only "it's big" but also how small the interior space was in relation to the exterior dimensions.

As a child of the Mini and Maxi era,I rate cars using a box and a bag.
I put the car in a box the right size.
I put a bag inside the cabin and fill it up with water. I then compare the two volumes.

CXRAndy

Guru
I typed into Google ioniq5 dimensions.

In a microsecond i had the answers

The height, measured from the ground to the top of the car is 1605mm across all variants. The width is 1890mm across all variants. The length is 4635mm across all variants. The dimensions shown above are for the Hyundai Ioniq 5 2WD Extended Range EV, —, Electric, 1 SP AUTO

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
1.152 metres wide,
A 1.152m vehicle should fit through a 2.2m hole fairly easily, I would have thought!
Fat finger moment, the width is 2.152m. - ! :whistle:

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Safety and aerodynamics have taken their toll on interior/exterior volumes but designers have pinched even more. Exterior size is not even a considerstion. Every new mark of a model gets bigger, fatter, heavier.
Which is 'one' of the reasons why so few folk put their car in the garage now; the 21st. Century car is too wide to fit into a 1950's spec width garage door. :laugh:
Same with parking spaces in car parks. :whistle:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Which is 'one' of the reasons why so few folk put their car in the garage now; the 21st. Century car is too wide to fit into a 1950's spec width garage door. :laugh:
Same with parking spaces in car parks. :whistle:
While most Americans have gone the other way. The massive Buicks, Chevrolets, Cadillacs etc. of the 60's and 70's have all but gone, and now they are running about in much smaller cars from South Korea or Japan. As a result, parking in an American car park is luxury. You can open your doors, and be reasonably confident that when you come back to your car there won't be another ding in the bodywork from some slob not being able to get out of their car without whacking yours with the edge of a door.

Chislenko

Veteran
I agree. Suggesting that a primate has anything in common with a sales person is utterly insulting to the monkey.

So by your reasoning everybody who works in retail is a monkey. Rather condescending attitude.

Must be great to be the most intelligent perfect person in the world, the weight on your shoulders must be immense.

Top Bottom