Hill Climbing Technique…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
This is kind of off-topic but also applies to some extent

Changing up when you get out of the saddle is not "exactly what you should do", the situation you're in dictates what is the appropriate response. Certainly one of these responses is changing up a gear or two but equally it may also need you to drop a gear or even a chainring!

Changing up a gear or two is fine & dandy if you're okay to comfortable in the saddle but are wanting to accelerate & if you're transiting onto a steeper section of the climb. However if you're transitioning to a much steeper climb you'll want to keep in the gear or even drop a gear as you stand up. Worse than this if you're standing up because you're about to stall changing up a gear or two will only make the stall happen & so you drop a gear or a chanring if you have any to spare & accelerate changing up when you get to a slow sprint cadence & possibly when you sit down. Learning how to drive through from a climbing out of the saddle cadence to a sprinting cadence is difficult one at first, as most riders find there's a cadence & technique gap between the two, but once mastered very effective at the top of a hill with a steep kick at the top especially if you can step up to the top chainring.

Fair points - I was referring to "for a constant gradient" I needed to be in a harder gear - I think it is because I have more power available standing up, but obviously I can't keep that intensity up for as long.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Dunno if everyone is the same, but when I get out of the saddle, I need to change into a harder gear, otherwise it just doesn't feel right.

Thats something that finally hit me about 2 weeks ago, used to always change down before I gave it a go

jimboalee

I once said somewhere "it takes fifteen years to become a half decent cyclist".

This is about the length of time it takes to ride up every conceivable gradient at every conceivable level of exhaustion.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
One thing beginners often do when honking (pedalling out of the saddle) is keep the body too far back so that they're constantly pulling on the bars. Your body weight should be over the bars.

jimboalee

One thing beginners often do when honking (pedalling out of the saddle) is keep the body too far back so that they're constantly pulling on the bars. Your body weight should be over the bars.

Try to keep your centre of gravity somewhere between the BB and the point where you are exerting the most pressure on the downstroke. This way, you are 'falling' onto the pedal before it reaches its most forward position in the crank circle.
It doesn't hurt to give a tug with the rear foot on the upstroke.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Sprinting? I am still trying to work out what MTFU and PMSL mean!

:biggrin:

Man The F### Up (I assume)

P### MySelf Laughing

whistling.gif

As I've been sprint training for like a month now, and never really done any hill training, I hate them.

I like to pull on the bars as much as possible and keep as far forward on the bike as I can while still on the saddle.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
On the hybrid i often grind up hills out of the saddle but on the roadbike I rarely do and it doesnt seem to help much other than giving my ar$e a rest.

When I sit back on the saddle oddly it feels as if my legs have just had a rest .

lukesdad

The reason most climbers use a longer stem. I use a 130mm for riding round here, and 100mm for flatter rides.

RedBike

When riding a single speed MTB you need to almost do the opposite of what you'd normally do on a road bike.

On a road bike you need to keep seated, keep your upper body relaxed and pedal smoothly.

On the SS when things get steep you need to stand and rock the bike from side to side as you pedal. It also helps if you forget about pedalling perfect circles and pull up on the pedals (using clipless pedals) to increase your torque.

When you stand to pedal try and keep things smooth and steady or you'll quickly run out of energy before you've reached the top of the climb.

Top Bottom