Hill Climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Push.

To see how ineffective pulling is, ride along on a flat road and don't push at all, just pull the pedal up. Within 50 yards your leg muscles will be on fire and you'll be crawling.

KneesUp

Guru
Push.

To see how ineffective pulling is, ride along on a flat road and don't push at all, just pull the pedal up. Within 50 yards your leg muscles will be on fire and you'll be crawling.
To see how ineffective having a left leg is, try riding with just your right leg ...

Every little helps, surely? And if you get tired after 50 yards, that means you need to train more, doesn't it?

KneesUp

Guru
I had a left crank fall off once and I had to ride about 5 miles only pedaling with the right one. It was my left leg that got the more achey with no support.

You evidently weren't living somewhere hilly! If my crank fell off, I'd walk!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have done it on steep hill starts but not for long and only been doing it since riding a std double.

KneesUp

Guru
As a user of toe-clips, can I ask all you SPD-types why you go to the expense of special pedals and shoes - not to mention the inconvenience of walking like a cowboy - if you're *not* pulling on the upstroke (stop sniggering, Jenkinson)? I thought that was the whole point of clip-in pedals; that you can pedal in circles properly. I pull on the upstroke a bit and I'm using plastic toe-clips with rusty clips on the straps so they're not even properly tight. What the heck are you guys doing? If the clips are just to stop your feet flying off the pedals, why not get a pair of £5 toe clips instead?

[QUOTE 3143557, member: 45"]Because real cyclists clip in.[/QUOTE]

Surreal cyclists clip with one hand.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As a user of toe-clips, can I ask all you SPD-types why you go to the expense of special pedals and shoes - not to mention the inconvenience of walking like a cowboy - if you're *not* pulling on the upstroke (stop sniggering, Jenkinson)? I thought that was the whole point of clip-in pedals; that you can pedal in circles properly. I pull on the upstroke a bit and I'm using plastic toe-clips with rusty clips on the straps so they're not even properly tight. What the heck are you guys doing? If the clips are just to stop your feet flying off the pedals, why not get a pair of £5 toe clips instead?
Because having your foot secured to the pedal means you won't pull out when you put the power on, in a sprint for example. Don't forget that before clipless came along all racers and most club cyclists rode with a metal plate tacked to the sole of the shoe which had a slot in it that fitted over the rear of the pedal cage. When you put your foot in the pedal you reached down and pulled the strap tight to lock your foot in, before you stopped you flicked the release buckle on the strap open. All clipless are is a more convenient way of doing the same.

You might consciously pull on the up stroke but it makes so little difference I'll bet you aren't generating any momentum from it.

KneesUp

Guru
Once you are used to clipless, riding flats makes your shins ache.
You're still not selling them to me - no real advantage to non-racers, a lot of inconvenience *and* it means you can't ride a normal bike properly. Plus it costs money.

Where do I open my wallet ? :smile:

Top Bottom