Hill Climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

uclown2002

Guru
I just pedal, I've no idea what I do when climbing ;-)
+1

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
[QUOTE 3143481, member: 30090"]Simple question:

You are up and out the saddle pedaling up a hill and you're clipless.

Do you pull up on the upstroke as well as pushing down with the downstroke or do you just put all your weight over the downstroke foot as you go through the pedalling motion. Well?[/QUOTE]
Depends how severe and prolonged the gradient is. The most brutal ascents will require every muscle you've got.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
If long enough there is no sense to recruiting more muscles, cycling in the orthodox fashion can utilise the output of your cadio vascular system. If short and sharp, yes recruit every muscle you can employ.
Sorry, I forgot, you don't have any real hills dahn sarth :tongue:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I don't think pulling up is all that relevant to most of us. Occasionally for hill starts on my fixie maybe, but not much else. The point of SPDs, or toe clips for that matter, is having your feet securely on the pedals for general pedalling.

Big Nick

I was apprehensive going clipless but to me it fits in the 'don't knock it till you've tried it' category!!

Can't imagine going back to flat pedals and all three of my bikes now have SPD's

Your foot has to go through a whole 360 rotation so to me to have a slight 'pull' effect on the upstroke to assist the opposite foot on its downstroke is a no brainer for better pedalling efficiency

MikeG

Guru
Pesig is about due for a new book ....
Pirsig.

martint235

Dog on a bike
For those who are curious as to what type of hill might require every muscle you've got, try a few of these monsters!
http://www.ocd.org.uk/uk/HighestRoads.html
And no, Ditchling Beacon isn't on the list! :laugh:
Ok no 19, Yad Moss, is a piece of the proverbial. Did it both ways during LEL and you don't even have to try hard, it's just long. In fact that list is just high hills not difficult hills to climb so for example there is no mention of the Howardian Hills. You could say that in terms of this conversation the list is irrelevant.

I would argue that Ditchling Beacon is far harder to climb than Yad Moss

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ok no 19, Yad Moss, is a piece of the proverbial. Did it both ways during LEL and you don't even have to try hard, it's just long. In fact that list is just high hills not difficult hills to climb so for example there is no mention of the Howardian Hills. You could say that in terms of this conversation the list is irrelevant.

I would argue that Ditchling Beacon is far harder to climb than Yad Moss
Ditchling is a pimple, over-rated because it defeats the casual riders on L2B. I got up it on 42/23 no bother. When they held the Brighton Classic or whatever it was called back in the early nineties most of the pros never got out of the saddle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ditchling is a pimple, over-rated because it defeats the casual riders on L2B. I got up it on 42/23 no bother. When they held the Brighton Classic or whatever it was called back in the early nineties most of the pros never got out of the saddle.

agree 100%.
For any relatively fit cyclist Ditchling is no problem.

Top Bottom