Hill Climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorvernRob

Is it overated like Winatts Pass?

I did 25km of categorised climbs last Sunday, IMO Winnats is harder than all 5 put together. I'd already done 30 miles and nearly 3,000ft of climbing by the time I got there but I found it very difficult and had to stop at one point as I couldn't control my breathing, then fell off trying to get going again!

I had only been cycling less than 3 months at that point (still only 5 months now) so maybe I'd find it easier next time. It's the only climb I haven't got up in one go, though I have only had the one attempt at it. I'll be going back later in the summer as I've got a score to settle!

I did 25km of categorised climbs last Sunday, IMO Winnats is harder than all 5 put together. I'd already done 30 miles and nearly 3,000ft of climbing by the time I got there but I found it very difficult and had to stop at one point as I couldn't control my breathing, then fell off trying to get going again!

I had only been cycling less than 3 months at that point (still only 5 months now) so maybe I'd find it easier next time. It's the only climb I haven't got up in one go, though I have only had the one attempt at it. I'll be going back later in the summer as I've got a score to settle!
Good Effort but trust me you'll find much harder than that, particularly when it comes to length :thumbsup:

swansonj

Guru
... or both. There's a hors categorie mountain climb near Melbourne I rode up once, using a road bike with lowest gear 34:28, and it was tough. If I'd used my touring bike with its lowest gear of 30:34, the pedaling might have been easier, but I suspect the ascent would have been no easier, because the touring bike weighs about 6kg more, which really matters on a hill like this one.
38% lower gear in return for (in my case) 7% extra weight? I'd go for that...

But i agree that no-one has gears low enough such that on really steep climbs you can just twiddle away without straining your muscles.

swansonj

Guru
It gets to a balance issue at lower speeds as well.
Agreed. Sooner or later either the balance issue or the front wheel lifting issue will defeat your attempt to tackle steeper and steeper hills without wrecking yourself.

On the one hand I believe in everyone cycling in the way they like without anyone else telling them they're wrong. If people like honking up steep hills in high gears with all their muscles straining, that's fine by me, and in turn, I hope it's fine by them if I change down and twiddle. But on the other hand, i do believe that many newcomers to cycling would find hills less daunting and more enjoyable if they used lower gears than is customarily regarded as normal.

MikeG

Guru
Agreed. Sooner or later either the balance issue or the front wheel lifting issue will defeat your attempt to tackle steeper and steeper hills without wrecking yourself.

On the one hand I believe in everyone cycling in the way they like without anyone else telling them they're wrong. If people like honking up steep hills in high gears with all their muscles straining, that's fine by me, and in turn, I hope it's fine by them if I change down and twiddle. But on the other hand, i do believe that many newcomers to cycling would find hills less daunting and more enjoyable if they used lower gears than is customarily regarded as normal.

I really couldn't have put this any better. If I comment on hill climbing, it isn't as a criticism of those who do it differently, but as a way to steer newcomers into tackling hills more thoughtfully.

martint235

Dog on a bike
[QUOTE 3151379, member: 30090"]Armstrong used a low gear and a high cadence and he waz immense.[/QUOTE]
Jan Ulrich was no particular slouch on a hill though and he used low cadence and a big gear.

bigmig

[QUOTE 3151379, member: 30090"]Armstrong used a low gear and a high cadence and he waz immense.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the EPO + other gear he was shooting up is what made him immense rather than what cassette he was running on the back..............

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Gearing for climbs is very personal. One of the pros a few years ago, I think it was Robbie McEwen was asked why he didn't use lower gears on the climbs and he said he'd tried it but it hurt just as much and he just went slower.

Crankarm

Guru
Because having your foot secured to the pedal means you won't pull out when you put the power on, in a sprint for example. Don't forget that before clipless came along all racers and most club cyclists rode with a metal plate tacked to the sole of the shoe which had a slot in it that fitted over the rear of the pedal cage. When you put your foot in the pedal you reached down and pulled the strap tight to lock your foot in, before you stopped you flicked the release buckle on the strap open. All clipless are is a more convenient way of doing the same.

You might consciously pull on the up stroke but it makes so little difference I'll bet you aren't generating any momentum from it.

Not in my experience, power smoothly around the whole pedal stroke.

beardy01

Not being an expert but surely lower gear higher revs and then up your gears and your legs will be used to the higher revs and you will go quicker without draining yourself

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Gearing for climbs is very personal. One of the pros a few years ago, I think it was Robbie McEwen was asked why he didn't use lower gears on the climbs and he said he'd tried it but it hurt just as much and he just went slower.
Not being an expert but surely lower gear higher revs and then up your gears and your legs will be used to the higher revs and you will go quicker without draining yourself
I think smokey is right insomuch as its a personal thing like what cadence you prefer to ride at normally anyway , some grind and some spin .
On a local hill i have tried both small ring spin and big ring out of the saddle and the latter is faster for me .It would also depend on the length of the hill, i might spin more up ventoux :smile:

Top Bottom