Hill climbing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

BTW. I've just measured Rose Hill as 1 in 6 ( 16% ) at its very steepest. I use 30 x 21 ( 38" ) at about 4 mph. It's on my route to Bromsgrove before Malvern Link on one of my 100 km Audax DIYs.

The route home goes up Weatheroak.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Get yourself a road bike or hybrid and join us on a Saturday morning ride (see This thread).

Rose Hill is my nemesis, as it gets harder the further you go, with no respite at all. Got the hang of it now, but it still hurts, and the traffic is less considerate than other places.

Weatheroak is always good for a grind, and then look at the ex-windmill when you reach the top. Check your bank balance and salary, and then find out that you can't afford it.

Wasthill Lane up to the Blues training ground is another decent climb, and if you do it the right way, you go down Lea End Lane and get a fantastic view.

Then when you get brave, there is a whole set around Romsley and the Clent hills from bad to worse and beyond.

jimboalee

Get yourself a road bike or hybrid and join us on a Saturday morning ride (see This thread).

Rose Hill is my nemesis, as it gets harder the further you go, with no respite at all. Got the hang of it now, but it still hurts, and the traffic is less considerate than other places.

Weatheroak is always good for a grind, and then look at the ex-windmill when you reach the top. Check your bank balance and salary, and then find out that you can't afford it.

Wasthill Lane up to the Blues training ground is another decent climb, and if you do it the right way, you go down Lea End Lane and get a fantastic view.

Then when you get brave, there is a whole set around Romsley and the Clent hills from bad to worse and beyond.

Rose Hill. What did the Romans ever do for us?

jimboalee

Ivor Road in Southcrest, Redditch.

Mount Pleasant, Salop Road and a short bit of Plymouth Road.

The locals come out and ask you "Are you lost, sonny" after they notice you've ridden up the hill for the tenth time.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have been taking Jimbos advice lately on improving hill climbing by repeated climbs on one ride as a type of interval training. Within a few weeks of trying it I rode up the hills 0n the way home from work this morning spinning all the way entirely on the middle chain ring. First time I have managed that since i started commuting about two years ago.

The odd thing is that due to work commitments my mileage has dropped during the last few weeks but I have been putting more effort in to making every mile count. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Icknield Street from The Coach and Horses towards Birmingham. The only one left that still REALLY hurts.

Attempted this on the Asdamobile not so long ago, coming back from Redditch to have the car serviced. Had to walk up the steepest climb on that stretch after running out of energy, seeing coloured spots and farting. Although it was my FIRST road ride over any distance, so maybe it's a little easier now.

Trying to get the Mrs more into cycling. Will be spending tomorrow teaching her best mate to ride a bike for the first time. Theory being, if she likes cycling, the two of us can gang up on the Mrs long enough to get her through the "My bum hurts" phase and onto the "wheeeeeeee" stage :-). Icknield Street out towards Redditch, downhill, is likely to be her first long trip, when I can get her up to that level of fitness.

As for Parsons Hill, I'm eyeing that up for Thursday before work. Will try it on the Asdamobile first I think... which I'm tempted to drill some holes in and put bolts through the front suspension, and a bit of gas pipe in place of the rear spring. Not a fan of full sus, but do like the low gears :-) Rose Hill will be attempted at some point, when I can get my muscles up to that level. Slowly, slowly, catchey monkey.

Steve

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Ivor Road in Southcrest, Redditch.

Mount Pleasant, Salop Road and a short bit of Plymouth Road.

The locals come out and ask you "Are you lost, sonny" after they notice you've ridden up the hill for the tenth time.

Ivor Road? On a bike? Cruel! Although it has to be said I've seen plenty of bikes turning out of there, so must be popular as a fitness run. You'll be suggesting Sion Hill in Kidderminster next!

OP
OP
wmtlynx

wmtlynx

Now the weather is a bit better I'm now back cycling regularly again and I can say that the only thing I needed to improve was my fitness level. Went out for a road ride for the first time in ages and managed the climb from Robert's Corner to Longbridge Lane via Hopwood without too much panting at around 10mph. Took the decision to take the Wayfarer rather than the Asdamobile, despite only having 3 rather high gears. Was great fun!

ramses

If you've only been riding a bike for a couple of months and your maximum ride is 20 miles probably best not to get a bee in your bonnet about "hill climbing". Simply get out on the bike as often as you can for as far as you can and if there are hills to climb, then climb them. You'll naturally get stronger on the bike the more you ride it. Just enjoy the bike wherever you are is my advice - it's as simple as that.

+1

pepecat

Fair play with riding up Rose Hill over the lickeys...... I'm not brave enough yet. If anyone's in the Clent area sunday morning, and sees some walking up the hill with a bike, it'll probably be me. Am planning on going up the romsley side and over past clent that way, but am likely to walk large parts of it...... though reading through this thread i'm heartened to hear the advice to go at walking pace. I like that.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
[QUOTE 1244868"]
I've just realised 3 things

1) The OP was months ago

2) BrumJim, one of the Saturday morning idiots, has already invited you along

3) Next time I do the loop jimbo will probably be waiting behind a tree for me with his track pump.
[/quote]
Oh, it was you! :whistle:

Top Bottom