Hill gradient websites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've seen some once, mostly for the Alps and Pyrenees but they had some UK climbs as well. Anyone know them and is there a UK equivalent?

For instance what's the gradient up the Llanberis pass?

Crackle said:
I've seen some once, mostly for the Alps and Pyrenees but they had some UK climbs as well. Anyone know them and is there a UK equivalent?

For instance what's the gradient up the Llanberis pass?

If you do the Llanberis circuit, do it clockwise - it's a lot easier.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Patrick Stevens said:
If you do the Llanberis circuit, do it clockwise - it's a lot easier.

So start Llanberis, towards Caernarvon, turn right, up the Nant Francon down to Capel Curig, right and then back over the pass.

Crackle said:
So start Llanberis, towards Caernarvon, turn right, up the Nant Francon down to Capel Curig, right and then back over the pass.

I haven't got a map to hand, but when I did it, I started off about half way up the Llanberis Pass and cycled up to Capel Curig and turned right there. The descent was much steeper than any part of the Pass.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Eyeing this with some interest. My granny in Lllanfairfechan needs to see my new bike, I suspect.
Actually, I'm sure she doesn't give a monkeys about new bikes, but whatever. I still have unfinished business with Horseshoe Pass too. For someone who's not much cop at climbing, I seem worryingly keen on it...

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Patrick Stevens said:
I haven't got a map to hand, but when I did it, I started off about half way up the Llanberis Pass and cycled up to Capel Curig and turned right there. The descent was much steeper than any part of the Pass.

I'll wait for you to get that map, because you've lost me now :biggrin:

Chris James

Über Member
If you cycle up the Llanberis pass, past Pen-y-Pass and on to Capel Curig THEN turn right then surely you end up at Betws-y-Coed?

Patrick, do you mean turn right at the Pen-y-Gwyrd and then follow the road down to Beddgelert?

I saw the links on the original link and am a bit confused as to how they come up with their difficulty ratings. For example the Horseshoe Pass is given a rating of 70 which is twice Cheddar Gorge (fair enough - its longer) but also noticeably higher than Holme Moss from Holmfirth and lots higher than The Snake Pass from Glossop (which I would say is very similar in gradient and length to the Horseshoe Pass).

TheDoctor said:
Eyeing this with some interest. My granny in Lllanfairfechan needs to see my new bike, I suspect.
Actually, I'm sure she doesn't give a monkeys about new bikes, but whatever. I still have unfinished business with Horseshoe Pass too. For someone who's not much cop at climbing, I seem worryingly keen on it...

i raced up the horseshoe pass in the 70's . i'd never do it again!i only rode to make up a team , which was a bit silly for a non climber.think it was the birkenhead north end mountain time trail or something like that.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Chris James said:
Patrick, do you mean turn right at the Pen-y-Gwyrd and then follow the road down to Beddgelert?

I think you're right Chris, Patrick means the Beddgelert loop, which does have a tough climb up to Pen-y-Gwyrd and then up the pass.

Noodley

Crackle said:
That first one'll warm you up.

I hope so :biggrin: Here's a photo from the last time - not quite at the top, but a good view of the road up:

snowroads041107001.jpg

Top Bottom