Hill repeats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
From what I've read, never put it in to practice though, the suggestion is to find a hill you can do in 5 minutes or so. To hit it in a slightly high gear so you are working and to aim to keep a steady cadence up 80% or so, then push hard the last 20%. Go down and repeat. Some of that may be slightly inaccurate, and there might be something about changing up as it becomes easier. What it definitely didn't talk about was crawling up huge hills riding at a snails pace, I can't see how that'll help anything at all.

screenman

Legendary Member
I suppose for resistance training it might work, do you have base miles in the tank?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not new to training, but never organised my bike training and been off the bike a few months.

Last couple of seasons I'd do a 20k or 40k training route or ride 2-3hrs with friends.

Want to get the bike out again and do something different, hill repeats appeal right now.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hate the sound of hill repeats! :thumbsdown:

I prefer repeated hills ... :thumbsup:

season_of_mists_profile.gif

the_mikey

Legendary Member
No point in repeatedly torturing yourself up the same difficult hill, all you can do there is try to find the gears/pace/breathing that you can sustain for each ride, avoid being tempted to race yourself up the hill, you won't turn into Alberto Contador.

Much more useful is to find a route that you can break down into sections that aren't torturous but you can try to improve on.

campagman

Guru
never organised my bike training and been off the bike a few months.
[/QUOTE
I wouldn't go straight into hill repeats if you've been off the bike for a few months.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I'll see how it goes - hadn't realised how long it's been. Last time on Mapmyride it took me 50mins just to get there...and 15 to get up it! :biggrin:

I did the Strava climbing challenge in Jan.
The nearest hill was about 150 feet, and and to get bigger Box hill and the like about 18 miles away.

So did plenty of hill reps. One ride I included riding up "Egham Hill" 5 different ways twice each

Top Bottom