Hills are my nemesis!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scrappy

Regular
With my new found joy of cycling I’ve been trying to figure out routes to maybe get into a routine and test to see what I can do and have been trying different routes.

I started out at a country park to practice on Monday (to see if I’m even capable of riding a bike nowadays) but I found it was too much stop and start and the place is like a maze and with my memory could follow the same route.

Yesterday I tried a route on the road which was good fun but lots of pot holes and must cause unnecessary wear and tear on the bike, but even more concerning……..the bike was covered in cow s**t from where the farmers have left presents on the road for me.

After a jet wash and clean last night I tried a new route, and it had a hill that went on and on and on and on and on!. For a lazy beginner like myself my legs we’re tired at the bottom of the thing!!!!

This is where it started to get steep....
image.jpg

Around the corner....
image.jpg

Around the next corner....
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Bearing in mind I'm new to this route and this must of gone on for well over a mile so each corner I was thinking IS THIS EVER GOING TO END!!!!!. Not a bad way to start the day though at 5:30am

Keep riding the same route from time to time and you'll be surprised how quickly your performance improves.

You'll suddenly realise your half way up, of even at the top and while you'll still be puffing and panting you'll feel much better, your recovery will be faster and you might even find yourself seeking hills out as a challenge! My mate prefers going uphill to anything else, nutter :smile:

PS: don't jetwash your bike, it can cause more trouble than it's worth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PpPete

Legendary Member
I can't see the pictures either...
but I'm crap at going uphill too. Maybe slightly less crap than I was last year, but still very much at the brown end of the sh1t league table.

wakou

Über Member
You have only just started, don't worry, it does get better! A year or so ago my local hill, I could not get up it, even on a mountain bike, I had to stop twice on the way up. Now I approach it without fear, I even seek it out (I left the club run last Saturday to go up it) In fact last Saturday I went up it three times, no sweat. (that is I lie, it still makes me sweat a bit, but you get the picture...) (I did not get the picture in your post... You could give us a google map ref we could have a look)

soulful dog

Veteran
I'm still completely rubbish at hills, and probably always will be, but it's amazing to go back up what I thought were hills (admittedly small) when I first started cycling and think now, that's not even a hill!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Regular
Oh that’s good to hear, to be honest I quite like that route and I think that hill will be a good training feature.

How do I put a location as a link so you can see the road?. As I was looking again on google trying to figure it out, I noticed its labelled ‘Pen yr allt’ which translates to English as Top of the hill :laugh:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What the others said. If you want to ride up hills, just keep practicing and it'll get easier.

6 months ago, after months of planning ahead, I moved to a carefully-selected hilly suburb of Melbourne, just for its proximity to mountains, because I like cycling up hills. Haven't regretted it, and my hill-climbing has improved a lot ^_^.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Regular
I went on the same route today and it did seem easier, but I guess its hard to say with using different gears etc, I’m still getting used to it all.

But 5 mins after I got back from my usual 3.5 route I went out again and did another 3 miles around a forest type place :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have a few hills on my commute, one inparticualr when I first started I had to walk, no choice neither legs nor lungs would let me get past half way.

I now go up it with relative ease, well compared to the lung blow outs. http://app.strava.com/segments/1443984 and there it is and there is little old me nestled in 16th out of 92.

It really is a case of the more you do the easier they become, in 24 months I have gone form dreading it, and hating the walk of shame puffing and panting to taking it in my stride, sometimes it is harder than others but I don't dread it anymore.

Glover Fan

I love a South East based cyclists definition of a hill! Lol ^

The only way to get better up hills is to keep doing them. On my 80 mile ride today I was climbing 100ft/mile for the first 27 miles! The rest was pretty flat and now I am pretty fit, I hate the flat.

Chevrons on an OS Map are my best friend! <<<

Top Bottom