Hills are my nemesis!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love a South East based cyclists definition of a hill! Lol ^

The only way to get better up hills is to keep doing them. On my 80 mile ride today I was climbing 100ft/mile for the first 27 miles! The rest was pretty flat and now I am pretty fit, I hate the flat.

Chevrons on an OS Map are my best friend! <<<

I find it interesting you think 100ft/mile is even climbing.

Glover Fan

Well it is not one constant hill over 27 miles, but continual up and downs. I regard 100ft/mile average to be a hilly ride. The Dartmoor Devil audax, which is one of the hillier 60 mile audaxes climbs about 7,000 feet over the course, so just a shade over 100ft/mile. Trust me when I say that it is a hilly ride. In the UK climbs are rarely shallow and progressive.

Well it is not one constant hill over 27 miles, but continual up and downs. I regard 100ft/mile average to be a hilly ride. The Dartmoor Devil audax, which is one of the hillier 60 mile audaxes climbs about 7,000 feet over the course, so just a shade over 100ft/mile. Trust me when I say that it is a hilly ride. In the UK climbs are rarely shallow and progressive.
I get where you're coming from, but 100ft/mile doesn't tell me anything more than I'm going to end my ride a few feet higher than where I started. Now tell me I've got a few cat 1 and 2 climbs over 60 miles and I'll have a better idea of what's in store.

I recently found that I'm not that great on hills when it comes to competition (to put it mildly).

However, what others have said is true, you will get better and whilst there will always be those who are better climbers than others, it is your own improvement that counts. You can't be good at all aspects of cycling and many different aspects there are.

I'm not a natural climber either but I've come on leaps and bounds by my own standard because I've kept at it and not shied away. Each climb has its own particulars and whichever poster recommended doing the same route is right. You'll even begin to remember which gear for which part of the climb and as you get stronger turn a higher gear, which is symptomatic itself of improvement.

Despite not being a natural climber I'm doing the Etape in July, taking in four Category 1 climbs in the Pyrenees and of course it's going to be tough. But, despite this I've learnt to relax a lot more whilst training (something you can't do in a race) and I'll take each and every mountain in my own stride, concentrating on breathing and a steady rhythm. I know, despite, the length of the climbs that there will not be anything steeper than what I am used to here in the Mendips (the Mendips have the slower, gradual climbs like Cheddar Gorge and Burrington Coombe but also many other far steeper affairs like Ebbor Gorge with gradients far surpassing anything in the Pyrenees) and so the game becomes one of endurance more than anything else and getting used to dealing with lesser gradients over a far longer period of time. Huffing, puffing, giving it your all in the first few hundred yards isn't going to work when you've got another 19km to go to the top, so I can't stress enough how important 'relaxing' is. And yes, I know it sounds ridiculous, relaxing? But it will come.

Start in a lower gear than you think at first, don't think because you could push a bigger gear that you should, find a position on your bars that suits you best and take it steady - you are not racing! You are gradually improving your fitness and your ability all the time. Don't be scared to get out of your saddle when it feels right and don't even think that you need to do the whole hill in such a position, sit back in as low a gear as possible if you need to, and grind away. It will get easier.

If you're on a double, I heartily recommend an 11-28 ratio cassette. Best of luck pal.

cycleruk

the first time i went up a hill round where i live i got to the top, i was sick and then collapsed! after a few weeks i could feel i was gettting beter and fitter and now i go up most hills and dont even realise ive gone up them till im speeding down the other side:bicycle:. Dont be afraid to use the granny gears and before you know it, you will have a smile going up hills just as much as going down them.

Zofo

Veteran
An 11-28 cassette combined with a compact chain set 50-34 should get you up most climbs ok. On climbs of over 100 yds or so you are best staying seated, although you can get more power down by standing up you will spike your heart rate and have to slow down on longer climbs.
A tactic I use on decent length climbs of 5 mins or so, is to take it relatively easy on the first 2/3 rds - assuming you know where the top is!- then accelerate up and over the last 1/3 rd. You can make up loads of time on other riders, who have usually gone too hard too early.

Top Bottom