Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul2015

Regular
Any tips for beginners? I've just tried the Haytor Hill and I sucked miserably lol. I'm fairly new only riding for 2 weeks and made it to the top it took me 32 minutes and average speed on the way up was 8mph and had to stop 8 times but I made it.

So any tips on how to improve?

What are the stats for Haytor hill?

Edit: just looked it up on strava, don't worry about it, keep practicing, the only way to improve riding on hills, is to ride on hills. If you have only been riding for a couple of weeks and depending on your normal fitness and your gearing then having to stop on 13% isn't the end of the world.

13 rider

Guru
No short cuts just time in the saddle. Pick a low gear and spin your legs .8 mph is not to slow . Next time you now where you first stopped so target getting past there, climbing can be a mental thing as well . If you've only been riding for two weeks don't worry about stopping . Try some flatter rides to build stamina then try the hill again . But the sense of achievement when you make up without stopping makes the effort worth it . Just keeping riding and enjoying it

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
I hadn't thought of that one. Its not so much the shorter hills say sub 1 mile its the longer ones like this one is best part of 4 miles of near continuous climb. Like you guys said its down to practise and breaking mental blocks. I need to nail it though as I've got a sportive that includes it in September

the_craig

Über Member
What you need is some dogs, to jump out and chase you...

:dry:

As others have said - just keep riding up 'em. Look a little way ahead but don't focus on the top. If you have drop bars keep your hands on the tops or hoods and try to keep your arms, shoulders and grip relaxed. Also, practice changing up a gear or two while simultaneously getting out of the saddle - not for a big push, but just to make use of different muscle groups for a wee bit, then drop back down into the saddle. Above all, ride up grades, don't ride upgrades ^_^

OP
OP
P

paul2015

Regular
I've got an allez elite but rarely use the drops, only really down hill when I'm wanting to get more aero for more speed

I think I'll make it a weekly thing where I dedicate a whole ride to tackling this thing aiming to get further each time without stopping

I'll get there in the end, the fact I made it to the top fullstop is a massive high for me, the temptation to just turn around and head back down was overwhelming at times

Practice, practice and practice are the best ways to improve hill climbing ability. And then practice some more. But not on the same hill. Find some with different lengths and gradients.
And as someone here said a long time ago, they don't get any easier but you do go up them quicker!

Top Bottom