Hills...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LemonCowboy

Hi all,

I'm an intermediate cyclist having been pretty committed for a few years now. For an idea of where I'm at, a couple of weeks ago I completed the Tour of Wessex which is a 3 days 327 mile sportive around some pretty hilly terrain.

For training I use an indoor trainer (tacx Blue Motion) and my rolling terrain commute plus getting out for a decent weekend ride (circa 100Km around the Yorkshire Dales).

I've noticed more and more that in groups where other people are being spat out the back of groups I can take turn after turn on the front and feel strong, but if the grade goes up past 6 or 7% I am getting dropped by those being spat out the back on rolling roads..

I am not a particularly heavy rider at 68kg and often in groups with much heavier riders (circa 80kg) in the scenario above.

I feel like my leg strength is the limiter here.. when the grade pitches up I feel the burn pretty much instantly unless I've had two or more days off the bike (which is rare atm)..

What are people's thoughts? Do I just need to train in the big ring and suffer even slower climbs to build that muscular endurance up?

Hi all,

I'm an intermediate cyclist having been pretty committed for a few years now. For an idea of where I'm at, a couple of weeks ago I completed the Tour of Wessex which is a 3 days 327 mile sportive around some pretty hilly terrain.

For training I use an indoor trainer (tacx Blue Motion) and my rolling terrain commute plus getting out for a decent weekend ride (circa 100Km around the Yorkshire Dales).

I've noticed more and more that in groups where other people are being spat out the back of groups I can take turn after turn on the front and feel strong, but if the grade goes up past 6 or 7% I am getting dropped by those being spat out the back on rolling roads..

I am not a particularly heavy rider at 68kg and often in groups with much heavier riders (circa 80kg) in the scenario above.

I feel like my leg strength is the limiter here.. when the grade pitches up I feel the burn pretty much instantly unless I've had two or more days off the bike (which is rare atm)..

What are people's thoughts? Do I just need to train in the big ring and suffer even slower climbs to build that muscular endurance up?
It’s not your leg ‘strength’ that’s the issue, it’s the leg muscles endurance that’s the issue. If you can support your weight standing on one leg, the leg strength is adequate. The best way to get better at hills, is ride more / steeper / longer hills.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you can get round the full Tour of Wessex, you're no slouch so you've got nothing to worry about. But if you want to get faster at going uphill... you need to practice going uphill more.

Power/weight ratio is a factor, but it's also partly down to technique (gear selection/cadence) and pacing (eg not going too hard at the start). Different approaches suit different riders and the best way to find out what works for you is experience.

Speaking for myself, I'm resigned to the fact that while I can tap out a steady rhythm on rolling roads, I'm always reduced to a crawl on steep gradients.

mgs315

Hmm. I’d personally look at cadence and what gearing you’ve got. I tend to find that relying on my cardiovascular system more instead of being able to stomp on the pedals helps me up hills.

For reference I’m about 65kg and I’m one of those who struggle to hold on on the flats but am fine when the gradient gets steep (doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt as it’s still a lung-busting, thigh-shredding slog up the steep stuff) but I run 50/34 with 11-32 on the back and keep an eye on keeping the power low (to pace the climb properly) and my cadence above 90rpm. That extra low gear don’t half help keep me composed and within my preferred limits.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I understand very well about cadence but maybe giving an idea of how fast one goes going uphill would help too, given various gradients. Personally, on a 6 to 7% hill, my speed is 6mph. Pretty slow but are least I keep moving.

OP
OP
LemonCowboy

LemonCowboy

Hmm. I’d personally look at cadence and what gearing you’ve got. I tend to find that relying on my cardiovascular system more instead of being able to stomp on the pedals helps me up hills.

For reference I’m about 65kg and I’m one of those who struggle to hold on on the flats but am fine when the gradient gets steep (doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt as it’s still a lung-busting, thigh-shredding slog up the steep stuff) but I run 50/34 with 11-32 on the back and keep an eye on keeping the power low (to pace the climb properly) and my cadence above 90rpm. That extra low gear don’t half help keep me composed and within my preferred limits.

Where i struggle (over 7%+) I have no chance of a cadence at 90 running a 50/34 and 11-28.

Don't get me wrong I am not 'slow' out and about.. it's just painfully obvious my biggest weakness is the hills. It is just frustrating keeping the train moving along on the rolling terrain then getting dropped out the back on every significant climb. I've added an extra steep hill session per week so hopefully will start to come up with the rest of the skill set!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I understand very well about cadence but maybe giving an idea of how fast one goes going uphill would help too, given various gradients. Personally, on a 6 to 7% hill, my speed is 6mph. Pretty slow but are least I keep moving.
I was sure you posted elsewhere that you couldn't ride uphill without struggling? 6 mph up 7% is a fairly respectable speed!

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Save the energy you use spitting people out the back on your good bits and use it on the bits where it would be happening to you.

In other words, on longer and multiday rides take advantage of the parts that suit you to recuperate and then you'll have energy available where you're struggling. Unless you're racing for a team of course, then you'll do what whats needed.

Top Bottom