Hills!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Glasgow44

Veteran
Some days hills seem easy, other days the same hill can be brutal.
Too soon in a ride I might not be up to speed.
Late in a ride , getting tired, or needing food.
I wouldn't give up and go down the E road yet.

I've tackled all the tough ones in Glasgow.
Gardiner Street in Partick is definitely the biggest challenge.

Gardner Street in Partick is a bitch!

Zipp2001

Veteran
This little stinger was just one of many stingers on a 75 mile ride I did on my birthday with a few friends a few years back. Lots of suffering but my attitude is no hill is going to beat me, and pain is delicious. It does help that I work and ride in the 4th hilliest city in the US, so I get to play on stuff like this on a regular basis.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmOuDHPDiA0

johnnyb47

Guru
I think knowing how steep and how long the hill is the key answer for me. If its not too big and know i can easily tackle it, i will give it everything i can to get up it as fast as i can. The longer ones or steeper ones, i will just simply pace myself and "dig in" knowing its going to be a good one.
I treat unknown hills gently until ive worked them a few times to get a mental picture of them.

....I've never felt any shame in cycling halfway up long steep hills, and walking the rest - gives a nice break from the saddle anyways.....

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Granny gear first time round..
next time you know your capabilities...
Nothing wrong with 'milking' it
I count to 120, starting at 0 then go to 11, then 21, then 31 then 41 onwards and so on..
I feel no shame being slow up ascents...

pjd57

Veteran
Granny gear first time round..
next time you know your capabilities...
Nothing wrong with 'milking' it
I count to 120, starting at 0 then go to 11, then 21, then 31 then 41 onwards and so on..
I feel no shame being slow up ascents...
Slow and steady every time.

Even going down these days.

Top Bottom