Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trek Trauma Chris

In most sport's, cycling being a big one, getting nervous about performance (will I make it to the top, or will I have to stop or fall off) plays a big part in sapping your energy and strength. Take boxer's, some of the fittest men on the planet yet 5x3 min rounds later, exhausted, England rugby team 20 Min's into play gasping for breath but in training will run all day, why! fear of the unknown, big day nerves. So whether it's a bike race or Sunday with the club but were going to try this big hill, its all the same, but the problem is you cannot do anything about it and its the same for everyone. Breathing, we all do it but not right sometimes, as you see a hill approaching try Hyperventilating ie. sit upright and take in big lungfuls of air and keep doing it even as you go up the hill, this does 2 things, 1/ it takes your mind of the hill 2/ you wont be gasping for breath early on as you have built up a reserve and it also helps to metabolise your fuel and get it quickly to the muscles. Riding a bike seated uses different muscles to riding whilst standing up, sure they are in the legs but still different set of muscles, so if you prefer to go up hill seated that's fine but do stand once in a while (5-10 secs) to give the first lot a rest and vise verse, standing up also stretches the hamstring muscles which when seated can get cramped up a little.
I learnt most of this the hard way, falling of going up a hill, determined to do it but speed fell to zero, could not unclip in time and bang one torn shoulder later, in hospital to have my muscles sown back on to the bone, arm strapped to my side for 4 month's to allow tendons to re attach to the bone, but that gave me some time to think and research into hill climbing.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
I rode up the 10% on my commute at 5.5 mph in 72".

That's 305 Watts for me at 26 rpm, standing up, pretending I was climbing a steep stairway while carrying a heavy rucksack.

I usually drop the gear to middle ( 54" ) and go up the 10% at 5 mph ( 31 rpm ) for 270 Watts.

Lowest on that bike is 41", which gets me up a 14% at 3.5 mph at 30 rpm for 270 Watts.

I don't have this bike any longer.
I'm riding my Dawes Giro this week until the new Land Rover Tahora is set up.

The 10% this morning was in 70" at 6.5 mph, SITTING DOWN!. That's 32 rpm in grinders language and 330 Watts in Hairy Arse'd Engineer's speak.

Fiona N

Veteran
Trek Trauma Chris said:
In most sport's, cycling being a big one, getting nervous about performance (will I make it to the top, or will I have to stop or fall off) plays a big part in sapping your energy and strength.

This is one reason why I've always been rather sceptical about riding up a hill to find your maximum heart rate. I know I only ever get to max HR on the road (as opposed to the turbo in a ramp test) going down hill - on descents with intervening short climbs when I'll not bother changing out of the big ring because I know I only have to get over the lip and then the effort's off. Going up hill I always have something in reserve, even on a hill I know well, so I've rarely (only when racing) got within 5 bpm of true max HR.

Bill Gates

Fiona N said:
This is one reason why I've always been rather sceptical about riding up a hill to find your maximum heart rate. I know I only ever get to max HR on the road (as opposed to the turbo in a ramp test) going down hill - on descents with intervening short climbs when I'll not bother changing out of the big ring because I know I only have to get over the lip and then the effort's off. Going up hill I always have something in reserve, even on a hill I know well, so I've rarely (only when racing) got within 5 bpm of true max HR.

Can't see how you can get a Max HR going downhill; mine plummets.

jimboalee

The heart rate of drag race pilots elevates before and during a race.

All they have to do is flatten the accelerator pedal and steer the car toward the finish line. :biggrin:

The race is over in less than 4 seconds but their HR goes no near MAX.

I suppose 0 - 320 mph in 1000 ft is a bit frightning,,,, just like riding a bike down a hill :biggrin:

Fiona N

Veteran
Bill Gates said:

That's because you're not trying :ohmy:

I put the gears into top and pedal as hard and fast as possible, usually getting to about 65 or 70 kmph before gravity takes over but when you meet a bit of uphill at speeds like this - i.e. maintaining speeds like this temporarily going uphill during the overall descent - you'll find that your HR shoots for the moon xx(

This isn't the sort of thing you can do on most English hills, they're just too short and often steep and/or badly surfaced but get to the Alps or Mallorca and it's a different story. My favourite descent is from the petrol station above the Lluc monastry. Every cyclist who's been to Mallorca will know this fabulous descent to Pollenca - it's got everything including a few unexpected hairpins, which sort the men from the boys, and with a bit of effort you can break 100kmph too.
Of course, you can simply sit on your bike and freewheel (except for the ups, of course) but that's really not the point, is it? B)

jimboalee

Fiona N said:
That's because you're not trying :ohmy:

I put the gears into top and pedal as hard and fast as possible, usually getting to about 65 or 70 kmph before gravity takes over but when you meet a bit of uphill at speeds like this - i.e. maintaining speeds like this temporarily going uphill during the overall descent - you'll find that your HR shoots for the moon :hyper:

This isn't the sort of thing you can do on most English hills, they're just too short and often steep and/or badly surfaced but get to the Alps or Mallorca and it's a different story. My favourite descent is from the petrol station above the Lluc monastry. Every cyclist who's been to Mallorca will know this fabulous descent to Pollenca - it's got everything including a few unexpected hairpins, which sort the men from the boys, and with a bit of effort you can break 100kmph too.
Of course, you can simply sit on your bike and freewheel (except for the ups, of course) but that's really not the point, is it? :smile:

including a few glass cabinets with bouquets of flowers.

GrasB

Veteran
Bill Gates said:
Given a geared bike I usually have a peak of HR a bit after the climb starts to ease off. From that point as my cadence & speed starts to build up my HR drops but as I start to spin up properly into the descent the HR goes skywards. My rides HRmax tends to have more to do with the maximum sustained cadence than all out effort.

Bill Gates

GrasB said:
Given a geared bike I usually have a peak of HR a bit after the climb starts to ease off. From that point as my cadence & speed starts to build up my HR drops but as I start to spin up properly into the descent the HR goes skywards. My rides HRmax tends to have more to do with the maximum sustained cadence than all out effort.

That's all very well but what we are talking about here is a process to establish your maximum HR. IMO decreasing the pedalling resistance by going downhill makes the process much more difficult and therefore more likely to be inaccurate than sprinting uphill.

GrasB

Veteran
But I find cadence has an effect on my HR, going from 80-85 to 115-120ppm on the flat at 15mph has about the same effect on my HR as increasing my speed by around 1mph. The net result is if I push as hard as I can uphill, where my cadence is lower, & as hard as I can downhill I'll record a higher HR going down hill.

jimboalee

Let me throw this theory into the conversation.-

Phosphocreatine muscle contraction does not require the heart to beat faster.

Anaerobic states of exercise do not require the heart to pump blood as much as aerobic exercises.

Therefore, when climbing hills at lower cadence in the anaerobic condition, heart rate is lower than spinning furiously downhill in the aerobic state.

Discuss..

Bill Gates

jimboalee said:
Let me throw this theory into the conversation.-

Phosphocreatine muscle contraction does not require the heart to beat faster.

Anaerobic states of exercise do not require the heart to pump blood as much as aerobic exercises.

Therefore, when climbing hills at lower cadence in the anaerobic condition, heart rate is lower than spinning furiously downhill in the aerobic state.

Discuss..

Are you 'aving a laugh?

Top Bottom