Hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonC

automatic_jon said:
I'll have you know that as a newbie who is also a skinny streak of p1ss with no upper body strength I've been following some of the advice here and not only managed to conquer the hill that looms over the town but I managed all the way to work with out stopping for breath on a hill even once. I even passed someone on one climb, which buoyed by spirits for the rest of the journey.

I've definitely found that seated works best for me and although I'd like to stand up to put more power down I just don't have the legs to get up off of my saddle after a little bit of climbing.

Whats this hill that looms over Portsmouth then??

Nowt like what we have oop north, and we ride up 'em in clogs, towing a whippet, etc, etc.

lukesdad

SimonC said:
Whats this hill that looms over Portsmouth then??

Nowt like what we have oop north, and we ride up 'em in clogs, towing a whippet, etc, etc.

Clogs would be all you d need to ride the modest lumps around Sheffield....... Mamby Pamby Northener s:laugh::becool::laugh:

jimboalee

Now now. There's no need to get into a squabble about who's got the steepest hills.:becool:

A shallow hill ridden fast CAN be more energetic than a steep hill ridden slowly.

SimonC

lukesdad said:
Clogs would be all you d need to ride the modest lumps around Sheffield....... Mamby Pamby Northener s:laugh:;):laugh:

Went to West Wales on holiday few years ago, didnt take a bike, but looked like one or two climbs around your way.:biggrin:

slinky malinky

As a sort of newbee (only been training and really trying for about a year) the input on this thread is great, my only advice I can give is don't look at the top of the hill, fix your sights a few feet in front of your wheel and remember no matter how good you are its going to hurt but its a good kind of hurt (or is that just me??)

tyred

Legendary Member
What I will say to beginners who are struggling with a particular hill; it won't appear to get any easier but you'll get to the top faster with practice.

PK99

Legendary Member
tyred said:
What I will say to beginners who are struggling with a particular hill; it won't appear to get any easier but you'll get to the top faster with practice.

i disagree - I just arrived back from a 50 mile circuit taking in Epsom downs, Ranmore, Leith Hill and back over box hill.

Less than a year ago box hill used to well nigh kill me (hr>>160) and i never made it up without stopping - today at the end of a tough ride I got up with HR a steady 140 (current threshold = 155, age 54)

A mixture of improved fitness and better technique (ie which gear/cadence combination works best for the individual) does make hills easier for a novice rider.

PS Ranmore into a gale force head wind is NOT fun!

Bill Gates

tyred said:

PK99 said:
i disagree - I just arrived back from a 50 mile circuit taking in Epsom downs, Ranmore, Leith Hill and back over box hill.

Less than a year ago box hill used to well nigh kill me (hr>>160) and i never made it up without stopping - today at the end of a tough ride I got up with HR a steady 140 (current threshold = 155, age 54)
A mixture of improved fitness and better technique (ie which gear/cadence combination works best for the individual) does make hills easier for a novice rider.

PS Ranmore into a gale force head wind is NOT fun!

I think it was Geg Lemond who is quoted as saying "It doesn't get any easier I just go faster". But you're also right in that climbing does get easier when you get fitter and practice.

That was a testing training spin you did there especially this time of year. I've been on club runs that have taken in that lot and you need some low gears alright. I went out for a short ride this morning through Charlwood to Newdigate, and back through Rusper to Crawley and the wind was very strong and gusty.

TBH as I've been doing LT training on the turbo I'm more into basic mileage until the weight gets down a bit and it gets a bit warmer. The steep hills can wait for a few weeks.

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:
That was a testing training spin you did there especially this time of year. I've been on club runs that have taken in that lot and you need some low gears alright. I went out for a short ride this morning through Charlwood to Newdigate, and back through Rusper to Crawley and the wind was very strong and gusty.

TBH as I've been doing LT training on the turbo I'm more into basic mileage until the weight gets down a bit and it gets a bit warmer. The steep hills can wait for a few weeks.

I'm doing the Puncheur sportive next weekend, today's run was to remind my legs what hills are about! - It worked, i've now got a nice warm glow from the waist down (Oh! Er!)

PK99

Legendary Member
Bill Gates said:
Out tomorrow? :biggrin:

No.... well, actually if the weather is ok i will do a towpath MTB ride with my wife as a recovery ride - plus i'm determined to break 500 miles in February despite the weather!!! 28 more needed!

Bill Gates

PK99 said:
No.... well, actually if the weather is ok i will do a towpath MTB ride with my wife as a recovery ride - plus i'm determined to break 500 miles in February despite the weather!!! 28 more needed!

Wind drops tomorrow but showers expected. Good Luck!

lukesdad

:smile:Crikey that brings back memories my father used to take me and my brother out on those roads when we were just kids. Bet its different now though traffic etc. We used to come off Ranmore common the zig zags up by Burford bridge over box hill then the next one can t remember its name then Leith hill and home to Hersham Nice riding country that.;)

lukesdad

Small case of the Daffodil classic down here tomorrow big hill 0.6 miles from start,that ll sort the men from the boys.;)

PK99

Legendary Member
lukesdad said:
:smile:Crikey that brings back memories my father used to take me and my brother out on those roads when we were just kids. Bet its different now though traffic etc. We used to come off Ranmore common the zig zags up by Burford bridge over box hill then the next one can t remember its name then Leith hill and home to Hersham Nice riding country that.;)

Actually, it is still pretty traffic free & truly magnificent cycling country.

Getting back on topic, the great thing about hills and the pain in getting up there is that there is most often a magnificent view as reward: all the way to the south downs on the way out, back over central london from Epsom downs on the way back

Top Bottom