hilly ride east manchester-yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I've checked the weather forecast 3 times for sunday and it's gone from rain all day to snow half the day and now says dry with light winds.

Lets see then eh?

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
yeah i'll check in sat aft and get a consensus.

longers

Legendary Member
It's thick with snow here :biggrin:. It may be foolish but I'm going to try and get to the Royal George anyway as the roads might be better over that way. They might be fine here once I get to a main road. I've sent you a PM anyway Dan Bo.

longers

Legendary Member
Alan H said:
And? AND!?!

Don't leave us in suspense. How did it go?

:ohmy:.

Everywhere was white and there were a few moments on the way to the main road when I thought I was being very stupid. The roads were still thick in places and very wet and slushy in others but cleared nicely later.There was a fair amount of spray from passing vehicular traffic but luckily not much traffic.

I got to the meeting place a little early so went up the road to see if the Isle of Skye was still open, this meant I was a bit late meeting Dan Bo.

Dan Bo is a thoroughly nice chap!

We went up the Isle of Skye and the views were stunning down over the reservoirs and the Indians Head. The wind was in our face uphill and when we got to the top of the moors it was blowing almost across us quite strongly. A nice fastish descent into Holmfirth led us to the cafe from Last of the Summer Wine for hot brews and general warming up.

We took the decision to have a look at Holme Moss and it was well worth it :smile:. The wind was at our backs and the views were incredible on the way up. The views were even better at the top and on the way down. Dan took a few photo's with his phone so hopefully they come out ok. A fast descent down with an incredible view of the Longendale valley was very exhilarating. All that was left was a quick ride along the Woodhead Pass back to Hollingworth where we said "cheerio" and "lets do that again".

Hope this helps :blush:.

Cheers Dan Bo :smile:.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Thanks for the report, Longers. But what's the Isle of Skye?

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
aaaahhh the isle of skye. It's the name given to the road that runs between greenfield and holmfirth over the peakstone grit. It reaches~500M in altitude and it's a place that's beautiful in its bleakness, and even more so when it's under 2ft of snow. It's so called because there used to be a pub up there of the same name. I like to think it's also because when you're up there, you see a lot of it-sky(e), that is.

And there'll be some pics going up in cake stop in a min.

Top Bottom