Hilly route from Oxford CIrcus to Old St? (London)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Odd requirement, I know, but I have the opportunity to ride from Oxford Circus to Old St (well, Bethnal Green really) three mornings a week, and I'm looking for a route that should take about an hour and involve as many uphills as possible.

First time out I headed up Primrose Hill then up towards Hampstead Heath, down York Way to Kings Cross then round the ringroad up and down Pentonville, but there's still too much flat between Kentish Town and Holloway. Any ideas? I don't want to start doing multiple repeats, it'll feel like I'm skiving work, but I do feel I could use the time available more effectively.

Here's what I did the other day according to my GPS, I think. If I've set the thingies right so the world can see it without signing in. http://runkeeper.com...te/route/289305

[ mods: not sure if this should be in commuting or rides or fitness, please feel free to move to a more appropriate forum if I guessed wrong ]

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Problem. I think you have already found all the hills in North London.:whistle:

tjsc1

The only thing I can think of using the blue line as a template is to continue up Roslyn Hill up to 'Whitestone pond', continue up roslyn hill, turn right up Heath street, that is quite steep. Come back down East Heath Road, Constantine road, left at lights, along Gordon house road, left at the lights into Highgate road, then you go up North Hill into Highgate village then down Highgate hill and into Holloway road, North Hill is quite a loooooooooong hill.
tc

tjsc1

....or just thought rearrange your route and go up Muswell hill.......thats hard, you see alot of bikers walking up!!

As Easy As Riding A Bike

The only thing I can think of using the blue line as a template is to continue up Roslyn Hill up to 'Whitestone pond', continue up roslyn hill, turn right up Heath street, that is quite steep. Come back down East Heath Road, Constantine road, left at lights, along Gordon house road, left at the lights into Highgate road, then you go up North Hill into Highgate village then down Highgate hill and into Holloway road, North Hill is quite a loooooooooong hill.
tc

That sounds pretty good. An alternative/variation, should you get bored with that route, is to work in Dartmouth Park Hill, instead of taking the West Hill up into Highgate. It's quite a long climb, and has some nice steep sections near St Joseph's Church at the top. Pics below -

wl3yfb.jpg

2dhbed5.jpg

Then down Holloway Road etc, back to Old Street.

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
Much obliged, folks - I've messed around a bit in bikehike (it shows the route profile) and incorporated several of these suggestions (not muswell hill, or not just yet anyway) into version 2 which I shall try on Wednesday. I'll post a map after I've actually ridden it ...

subaqua

What’s the point
same route up to Fortess road then left towards dartmouth park hill, down bredgar road turn left, round archway down holloway road to nags head turn right and go up camden road to york road. i could make it longer to go upm tufnell park road but you would end up at some point riding over roads already done.

going back head up new north road from city road and head towards hornsey and crouch end up going up highbury grove to stroud green road up there to ashley road and then into beaumont rise . will take you towards highgate after which you have the option of going up dartmouth park hill again or using tufnell park road.

I used to work in Islington/Haringey/Hackney and hated having to walk the hilly bits

tjsc1

wheelygoodfun......sorry about that....yes it should read West Hill.
Tc

Top Bottom