Hip bones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

I've noticed, since I started cycling about 6 months ago, i've completely lost the small amount of fat around my hips. In that specific area, particularly at the front, its literally just skin and bone. The strange thing is, although my stomach shrank a fair bit, there's still a bit there - if only I could take some from here, and stick it on my hips ;)

Who else has experienced the hip thing??

The question - are there any exercies I can do to build muscle around that area? Squats maybe??

Thanks!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... you want fat on your hips?

Presumably you're a woman? Apparently women have a greater proportion of subcutaneous fat than men, that's fat under the skin. It's what makes girlies more cuddly.

There aren't any muscles on the hips that I'm aware of. I'm no expert but possibly you have lost the subcutaneous fat but are finding it harder to shift the intra-abdominal fat that's in your body cavity, this is the fat that surrounds your internal organs and is much more difficult to deal with. If that's not the problem perhaps some exercises would help to build muscle tone at the front of your stomach. I find that so much of that is posture: if I slouch and relax my muscles my stomach flops out but if I stand straight and keep my stomach taught it looks flat. This kind of erect posture becomes second-nature after a while.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Fat tends to redistribute pretty slowly. I always lose it off my face first, then arms, legs, chin, and finally stomach. Echo what Rigid Raider says. Regain balance by standing with your pelvis tilted forwards to 'cup' your belly and then you'll be slim all over.

If you want to be bigger all over, 2 pairs of shorts.:biggrin:

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Rigid Raider said:
Er... you want fat on your hips?

LOL !! Err, no ! I was joking when I said I want to take some fat of my gut and shove it on my hips :laugh: :wacko:

No, I am not a woman.

I was actually wondering if there are any exercises that would help build "muscle" around the area in question.

I am concentrating on ab exercises, sit-ups, the plank etc, but this won't build anything around hips. I found 1 or 2 exercies yesterday that mat help - Leg Raises. Lying on side, lift outer leg upwards etc.

Having no fat around my hips, it actually makes my stomach look a bit on the big side (not that you would notice when covered up - its not that big). Although I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, I think my problem is portion sizes, so combnied with exercising the abs, i've decided on cutting down my meal sizes, but eating more frequently to balance out my intake.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
arallsopp said:
Fat tends to redistribute pretty slowly. I always lose it off my face first, then arms, legs, chin, and finally stomach.:smile:

Chuffin older bloke's 'geometry'......need to loose the belly bits...... :smile:

jimboalee

ShinSplint said:
LOL !! Err, no ! I was joking when I said I want to take some fat of my gut and shove it on my hips :smile: :smile:

No, I am not a woman.

I was actually wondering if there are any exercises that would help build "muscle" around the area in question.

I am concentrating on ab exercises, sit-ups, the plank etc, but this won't build anything around hips. I found 1 or 2 exercies yesterday that mat help - Leg Raises. Lying on side, lift outer leg upwards etc.

Having no fat around my hips, it actually makes my stomach look a bit on the big side (not that you would notice when covered up - its not that big). Although I don't eat a lot of fatty foods, I think my problem is portion sizes, so combnied with exercising the abs, i've decided on cutting down my meal sizes, but eating more frequently to balance out my intake.

That's called a 'Hip abduction'.

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
That's called a 'Hip abduction'.

This is the exercise.

Wear plastic Tesco bags like you would socks ( tied up round ankles ).
Stand on SLIDEY carpet.
With straight legs, force legs apart uniformally.
Pull legs back to upright.

Hip Abductions and hip adductions in one simple exercise.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Get a Wii Fit... lots of exercises to develop various bits... and you can map your progress. Can become obsessive if you let it... and an easy way to fit in and maintain a minimum half hour balanced regime in 10 minute + sessions when you're not on your bike.

....and the downhill slalom is a laugh!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
jimboalee said:
This is the exercise.

Stand on SLIDEY carpet.

...or slide flat to the floor, legs akimbo. Ensure phone within reach before starting...

jimboalee

jimboalee said:
This is the exercise.

Stand on SLIDEY carpet.

Hip Abductions and hip adductions in one simple exercise.

After you've done half a dozen of these ( because they're not really necessary for bike riding ) do the other exercise.

Does anyone remember the 'Woodentops'?

Do 'Spotty dogs' for as long as you can,,, These are for cyclists.

No need to spend ( waste ) money on a Wii fit.....

You'll know you've done something when your Leg Flexors are burning like Satan's inferno.
All you need to do is count the reps ( or time on a 1 per second basis ) and jot it down on the calendar.

Wii Fit.... my a**e.

Top Bottom