Hip bursitis..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

After much thought I have decided to give the bike a miss this weekend, (under protest)

Have to say Hip Bursitis is bloody painful! so I don't want to aggravate it more than I need too ....

Not the fact riding the bike hurts, I went out last weekend and it was OK, it is IF I had issues with the bike and needed to walk... I would be, well "screwed" I can walk a few feet and agony,,, so better safe than sorry..

Worse part is Doctor reckons it could take 5 weeks to go away and even then physio may be needed....

Oh joy...
1f641.png

vickster

Legendary Member
Ice and heat and gentle stretching

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I have been doing some light stretching, but too much at the minute starts it throbbing... Got a months supply of tablets 3 times a day, and one I have to take in a morning to counteract the side effects... great stuff lol...Can't sit for long, can't stand or walk far...

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Doctor did say if the tablets don't work then it is physio... been a couple of weeks now so hopefully it will ease now a week of tablets are "kicking in".. seems a little better today as I have been resting it, not walking much.

Slick

Guru
Sounds bad. I have some hip pain that I was going to ask about but it's nowhere near as bad as you describe.

How was bursitis diagnosed?

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I had it for about a week and decided after a weekend of pain to go on Monday... I basically told him the left hip was very painful and this in turn went down the outside of my leg to the knee, feels like real bad cramp in the leg...

But it is very painful, even sitting but walking is a killer lol..

He said that because the trochanteric bursa is inflamed it puts pressure on the outside muscles hence the cramp effect... Gave me a month of tablets

index.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a pretty common, mine flares up, cycling is fine but stairs esp hurt like crazy.
Probably because I'm a little on the weighty side :blush: and have very tight muscles. Massage and physio best treatments

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

It is the first time I have had it, but I am about 115-118KG still so on the heavy side.. as you say riding the bike last weekend I did 30 miles over two days and nothing, but stairs do hurt like mad..

Birdie

That sounds really painful and annoying! My daughter has a permanent hip problem but can cycle miles, yet when she walks too far............... It's annoying isn't it, that cycling doesn't hurt but walking does! Hope it clears up quickly for you!

Slick

Guru
I had it for about a week and decided after a weekend of pain to go on Monday... I basically told him the left hip was very painful and this in turn went down the outside of my leg to the knee, feels like real bad cramp in the leg...

But it is very painful, even sitting but walking is a killer lol..

He said that because the trochanteric bursa is inflamed it puts pressure on the outside muscles hence the cramp effect... Gave me a month of tablets

View attachment 467005
Mm, my pain is on the outside which NHS website said was good as it means it's not arthritic. It goes down the back of my leg to behind my knee but mild compared to yours and Vicksters. I've done 90 miles on the bike commuting last week so may have an easy week next week to see if it helps.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Mine is down the outside, from the ball of the hip and down the outside to about the knee.. The picture shows the blue area on the outside which is the actual problem, and the muscle over it

vickster

Legendary Member
Mm, my pain is on the outside which NHS website said was good as it means it's not arthritic. It goes down the back of my leg to behind my knee but mild compared to yours and Vicksters. I've done 90 miles on the bike commuting last week so may have an easy week next week to see if it helps.
That sounds more like sciatica if it's down the back of the leg from your bum (so back not hip), hip bursitis affects the outside as said

You should rest and see a doc if not better

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I put it off for a week but then the pain got the better of me so I went, glad I did really, if it is this painful with the tablets it might well have been a lot worse without lol... I hate taking tablets, already on on 4 a day for other things...

Top Bottom