Hip bursitis..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
That sounds more like sciatica if it's down the back of the leg from your bum (so back not hip), hip bursitis affects the outside as said

You should rest and see a doc if not better
I've had sciatica, this is definitely in the hip as Stuart describes but does feel more in the hamstring to the back of the knee.

Either way, I reckon your advice is still sound.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

That sounds really painful and annoying! My daughter has a permanent hip problem but can cycle miles, yet when she walks too far............... It's annoying isn't it, that cycling doesn't hurt but walking does! Hope it clears up quickly for you!

I actually said to the Doctor Monday I did 30 miles on the bike over the weekend and not as much as a twinge, walk a short distance or as Vickster said, try to go upstairs and I was in agony... Doctor said cycling is a different type of movement and less pressure

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

4 a day...amateur :laugh:

I take them under protest lol.... then again 6 years ago I was 27 stone and my blood pressure lowest reading was 190/140.. so when the Doctor said I have two choices to loose it or die it sort of shook me up, I was close to a stroke or heart attack ... now have normal blood pressure with the help of tablets and weight loss, almost 8 stone now, 3 of those in the last 12 months with exercise and the bike at weekend and I feel great..

Slick

Guru
I take them under protest lol.... then again 6 years ago I was 27 stone and my blood pressure lowest reading was 190/140.. so when the Doctor said I have two choices to loose it or die it sort of shook me up, I was close to a stroke or heart attack ... now have normal blood pressure with the help of tablets and weight loss, almost 8 stone now, 3 of those in the last 12 months with exercise and the bike at weekend and I feel great..
Nice. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

I've had sciatica, this is definitely in the hip as Stuart describes but does feel more in the hamstring to the back of the knee.

Either way, I reckon your advice is still sound.

The pain is almost a straight line down the centre of the outside of the leg, as I say from were I can feel the ball of the hip to the knee.

Slick

Guru
Well then...
I need to as well having had an excruciating sports massage this morning :eek:
Easier said than done though, isn't it, especially when you see exactly what it takes to stretch a muscle properly during one of those massages.

I got one in Tenerife back end of last year from a slip of a woman who had me on the very edge of what I could stand. It was the best ever though and I've now tried a few different physio's but none could match her.

vickster

Legendary Member
Easier said than done though, isn't it, especially when you see exactly what it takes to stretch a muscle properly during one of those massages.

I got one in Tenerife back end of last year from a slip of a woman who had me on the very edge of what I could stand. It was the best ever though and I've now tried a few different physio's but none could match her.
Little and often, try a foam roller too. Need to get to maintenance phase. Unfortunately I get bored after a few weeks.

Find a sports massage therapist not a physio...the most vicious are ones that work with rugby clubs IME!
The ones I see are trainee physios with massage qualifications

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Little and often, try a foam roller too. Need to get to maintenance phase. Unfortunately I get bored after a few weeks.

Find a sports massage therapist not a physio...the most vicious are ones that work with rugby clubs IME!
The ones I see are trainee physios with massage qualifications
I know what you mean, I tend to get bored as well.

I'll have a search around for some decent sports massage therapists. Thanks.

Birdie

Well done you for turning your life around :wahhey: It's not easy!

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

Well done you for turning your life around :wahhey: It's not easy!

Best thing I did, still a bit to go yet... Having tried diet after diet and getting nowhere it is quite easy to stick to when you get the "loose it or die options" lol ... I still think now what if I had taken no notice? would I still be here now or at the very least had a stroke or heart attack. scares me to think .. I was only about 46 at the time ..

CXRAndy

Guru
After much thought I have decided to give the bike a miss this weekend, (under protest)

Have to say Hip Bursitis is bloody painful! so I don't want to aggravate it more than I need too ....

Not the fact riding the bike hurts, I went out last weekend and it was OK, it is IF I had issues with the bike and needed to walk... I would be, well "screwed" I can walk a few feet and agony,,, so better safe than sorry..

Worse part is Doctor reckons it could take 5 weeks to go away and even then physio may be needed....

Oh joy... View attachment 466999

My wife has hip bursitis in both hips. She has just had steriod injections in the bursa. The first injection in one hip wasnt too successful but the other hip was alot more successful. she has to do certain gentle exercises to build strength around the hip muscles but without aggravating the bursa. She has been told months for recovery

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

It is bad enough in one hip, I would hate to think what it's like in both :sad: .. Doctor told me a minimum of 5 weeks or so, hope it's sooner lol...

Not too bad if I just sit and do nothing, was more painful this morning when I got out of bed, but I tried to walk to the shop this morning which is about 300yds each way and had to keep stopping it was agony...

Top Bottom