Hire Cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Just picked this up from Geneva airport for a couple of weeks, A focus ST line ecoboost hybrid auto.

It’s really nice, lovely to drive and compared with our two 7 year old cars the tech on it is brilliant

IMG_1829.jpeg

I love the lucky dip you get with a hire car, and if it’s a good ‘un it makes the holiday

Last edited:
and if it’s a good ‘un it makes the holiday

couldn't agree more, this lovely little Alfa was waiting for us at Olbia airport a few years back, and we did a good few happy miles touring around Sardinia.
Enjoy the Focus!
1692470083301.png

figbat

Slippery scientist
A few thoughts from me:

- the first hire car I ever drove… 1992, just started work having graduated a few months earlier, had to go to London for a meeting and they provided 21 year old petrol head me with a box-fresh Fiesta XR2i

- February this year my wife and I went to Iceland for the first time and I booked a Jeep Renegade for its 4WD capability but having low expectations of it… it turned out to be a fantastic little car

- 1996, I flew to Canada for a self-guided fly-drive experience. On arrival at the hire car location I was given a Ford Crown Victoria (for just me) but it had a ‘check engine’ light that wouldn’t go out so I was given an Oldsmobile Cutlas Ciera. One could not ask for a more clichéd American car experience. Loved it!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
We had a focus for two weeks back in 2016 when we were in California, but it was no where as good as this one.

IMG_1836.jpeg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Back in 2016 we went on a trip to South Africa and Swaziland (now eSwatini) to visit where SWMBO spent much of her childhood in Pietermaritzburg plus go and volunteer at a friend's health project in Mbane, Swaziland. I booked a VW Transporter people carrier for the trip knowing we'd be doing some serious miles. However, I could see when we arrived at the airport the previous hirer pointing out a pile of faults with it.

Instead of the VW they gave us a 3,000 mile one of these, which is basically used as a taxi in South Africa:

DSCF4482.JPG

We certainly got some looks driving it around as they were almost exclusively used as taxis. However, when the health clinic's 4x4 broke down the Toyota was called into service and we drove all over into remote villages. Over the three weeks we covered thousands of miles and it wasn't a bad driver.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We were going to Tuscany for 2 weeks and I rang the hire company and specified a red Fiat 500. When we got there they did not have a red one. They gave us a pale blue Fiat 500 soft top instead. For the same price.

Hard to complain 😁

dicko

Guru
For our three week 2014 tour of New Zealand we were hired a Mercedes Benz six berth camper van it was huge and being automatic was so simple to drive despite it looking huge. Here we are in Rotorua.

2014-11-14 11.33.39.jpeg

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I get baffled by modern car touch screen controls. Every car seems to have a unique system. Even the petrol tank flap opener now has no standard position.

The Focus one was pretty intuitive, not as easy as my BMW idrive but then nothing is.

Only ever hired two cars in the States, both were nearly new V8's, a soft top Mustang (Florida) and a Hemi Dodge Durango (Rockies to West Coast), both way better than I was expecting .....

Top Bottom