hiring a bike in Basel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

itchybeard

Anyone with experience in hiring bikes in Basel, Switzerland.
That's where I land, I will visit a friend who will put me up then perhaps cycle to Strasbourg and back.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

Onyer

I don't know about bike hire in Basel, (probably some bike hire near to the station) but earlier this year some friends and I cycled from Basel to Strasbourg. We cycled from Basel to Mulhouse and visited the motor museum to see the Schlumpf brothers' collection of Bugattis. From there we rode to Thann and stayed overnight. From Thann we rode up Le Grand Ballon - over 3,000 feet of climbing - and then a great descent to Colmar. This is a town well worth a visit as it is such a lovely place. From Colmar we cycled along the wine route visiting Ribeauville, another place not to be missed, to Strasbourg.
Have a great time.

OP
OP
itchybeard

itchybeard

Interesting. Thanks for this.
I will perhaps do a circular route, from Basel towards Freiburg, look into the black forest, Strasbourg and then round to your way.
I have 7 days so it will be short lived at each place, but rather quality over quantity so I may not make it to Strasbourg. But I should, being only 88 miles.
Camping so with Panniers and tent is preferred method and cheapness. Plenty of camping I presume...

Onyer

We actually started in Colmar and then rode to Strasbourg - 65 miles
Strasbourg to Freiburg - 60 plus miles (the battery on my Garmin gave out after 44 miles, but the course I had planned was 61 miles)
Freiburg to Waldshut (got lost that day - 81 miles and a massive hill!)
Waldshut to Basel - 48 lovely miles along the Rhine
Basel to Thann via Mulhouse - 42 miles
Thann to Colmar - 53 miles via Le Grand Ballon!

Six days cycling and we were carrying panniers but staying in hotels, as we are too old and need our comforts these days!

Top Bottom