Historical savings.

Brandane

Rain magnet.
After reading the thread on bike cost depreciation on a bike bought in 1968, it reminded me that I could be rich beyond my wildest dreams. Retirement beckons after finding my 2 investments.

£1 kindly invested in my name in 1968 at a long defunct local savings bank.

And a further £0.23 pence in a National savings account, last entry July 1978.

Don't bother with the begging messages, I'm a Scotsman so it's mine; all mine :laugh:.

OP
Brandane

Brandane

Rain magnet.
According to an online inflation calculator, my £1 from 1968 is now worth £17.46.
The 23 pence from 1978 is now worth £1.33.
My retirement plans are in tatters :cry:.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It must cost my bank at least £1 in paper, ink, administration processing, postage and envelope to print out and send me monthly paper statements.. to inform me that I have made 6p interest on my savings... if I agreed to stop the statements will they give me £1.06 a month... I assume the answer would be no.

Archie_tect

If you can pop into the branch with your grandparents as witnesses they'll be pleased to update your passbook.

Archie_tect

On the 26th September 1977 , the first day of my architecture course, someone bet me £5 that he'd hear me swear... as he couldn't believe I didn't
He never did, but never paid up. Must be worth a bit now... wonder where he lives.

Top Bottom